SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eks6426

Stop the mold from growing on my ceiling and walls!

eks6426
12 years ago

I am gathering information and ideas to start remodeling my only full bath. But the most important part of this project is going to be solve the ventilation problem. My bath is about 5' wide x 8' long. There is a tub alcove that is recessed off the 8' wall so that point of the bathroom is about 8' wide. There is a window on one of the 5' walls and the entry door on the other 5' wall.

I currently have one of those lights with fans centered in the room.

We have such a moisture problem that the walls and ceilings grow mold. The wood window frames also grow mold. We run the fan for a long time maybe 30 minutes after each shower. There are 3 people who shower one right after another each morning. The ceiling above the tub has puckered and peeled off from moisture. It always has some mold even though we try to keep up with bleaching it.

The fan connects in the attic to flexible duct work that runs mostly horizontal to a vent in the side peak of the house.

It is very important to me that we fix the moisture problem but I also don't want a fan that is super loud.

Since the moisture problem is our most serious issue, my plan is to fix the fan/venting problem first...before we actually gut the bathroom.

So, I am looking for ideas on what we need to do/buy etc. Help hugely appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (12)