SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christmasbaby_gw

Activities for home bound seniors...give me your ideas!

christmasbaby
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

My mom is going on 93 and spends a good deal of her day watching TV. We solved the loud volume problem with TV Ears, but I would like to get her hands and mind more active. I have noticed a decline in the last few months and would love to stop it or reverse the loss.

She used to do a lot of quilting on baby quilts, but she has osteoporosis and her forward head position puts quite a load on the neck muscles, as well as her upper back. When she quilted, she would spend far too much time, even though I tried to limit it. She would "beg" to be able to do another 20 minutes. I even made a deal with her that she could only quilt on days she did her DVD with chair exercises for seniors.

She is past the ability to knit, crochet or do any needlework anymore, though we have tried.

She likes to do puzzles, but she can't handle full size ones. Kids 100 piece ones are about her level now. The same problem exists with the head position.

I have given her word search books with larger print, and 20 or so cards from a deck to play the memory game.

I would like to find some things that she could go for mind activity plus finger and hand dexterity that doesn't involve leaning forward and looking down so much. She can do it for short periods, but not be as long a time as with the quilting.

Do any of you have any ideas to share? Feel free to list ANY, even ones not good for the neck position, so that others on the forum can get good ideas for their loved ones.

With most of the winter in front of us, some fun activities to brighten our loved ones days would be of great benefit to all of us.

Thanks,

Terri

Comments (35)

Sponsored