SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lascatx_gw

Wolf Ovens -- I Want to Cry

lascatx
16 years ago

My double ovens are aout 13 months old -- have had a burner element replaced, a fan replaced, 2 control panels replaced, and last night while the oven was on only a few minutes to broil garlic bread, we smelled that plasticky, electricl overheating smell. It was coming from the vent at the bottom of the oven and we had to shut the breaker off to stop it and avoid a fire.

In the same trip to the laundry room, I discovered that my washing machine had stopped. It won't drain and makes horrible noises. It'a a Calypso, and I'm guessing it's really dead. We've been looking at front loaders, but we'll have to look at remodeling the utility room to fit the deeper ones in. The plan until then was to do hardwoods in our entry, living and dining room -- but we may be putting that off again.

The repair men have all told me Wolf is so solid and they get so few repair calls on them. I know even the most perfect line made will have a lemon now and then -- and I seem to find my share. Is this a freak? I don't know if I just need to vent or if I need reasssurance that the next one (I'm going to insist that Wolf replace this disaster) will be a good one.

Comments (18)

• homepro01
    16 years ago

That really sucks. I wonder if you have two appliances that are behaving wierdly, is there a common denominator? Do you have a whole house surge protector? There are fairly inexpensive to install and in this day and age of electronic appliances, they are a worthy investment. Is it possible that the oven is not installed properly? Does it have the required amount of space to vent and get air to the electronics?

You may very well have a Wolf and Calypso lemon but I also wonder if there could be another factor?

Good luck!

• lascatx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't think they are related, although it does make you wonder why now. The washer is nearly 7 or 8 years old which is apparently a long life for the Calypso (they were the subject of a class action lawsuit that didn't help a lot of folks, myslef included -- hence the extended warranty). The problem there is mechanical. It makes horrible noises and won't drain. That is one of the problems thay are known for -- drain pump. We have ben drawind out some idead for rearranging the laundry room to try to get better use of the small space. We have no where to sort laundry or anything -- just washer/dryer, fridge and a tiny sink you can hardly get to. Plus, there is not enough room in front of the machines -- which is why we will have to more things to fit in front loaders. Some man who never did laundry thought he'd put in a nice laundry room -- and I'm sure it was fine to him that you had to walk on the laundry to sort it.

We do use surge protectors on all the major appliances, but a whole house one might be a good addition as well -- and insurance for the smaller things, the stuff the kids plug in, the new ipods they got at Christmas and the docking stations, etc.

They say things come in 3's. DH was taking ribs off the grill and yelled out something I can't repeat. I thought he'd dropped the rack of ribs on the pool deck. He knocked over a large ceramic pot and broke it. At least he did it before I had done the mosaic work on it. I hoep that was the third and final one.

The oven is clearly electrical and the problem folowwed a day of very clear weather, no road work, construction or other indicators of a power surge. We'd been home nearly all day and the oven worked fine during the afternoon when I had it on longer to bake brownies. It seems top be installed properly and hasn't shown any signs of strain during all day holiday baking, etc. A few minutes on the broiler (the fan was running as it should be) shouldn't kill it. It has been checked by the original installers and repairmen from two different companies. I think I just got a lemon.

• Related Discussions

New Wolf oven--can I use an oven liner?

Q

Comments (11)
    I have a Wolf range I purchased 5 years ago, and the operating instructions were adamant about not using liners or aluminum foil in the oven. Check your instructions for care of your oven, and if it's not clearly addressed, call Wolf and ask them. It would be a shame if your new oven were ruined by a product not cleared for use in the Wolf. I can tell you, after 5 years of cooking with my range, that the oven clean feature works wonderfully well, and has cleaned up that blue interior so it looks like new. Also, pay attention to wiping up spills soon after they occur, as that will help your oven stay clean too. The instruction book provides great info on how to use/maintain your new range.
    ...See More

Wolf Steam Oven over a Bosch or Elux Oven? Which looks better?

Q

Comments (4)
    We did the Wolf over a Bosch. Our cabinets were not custom and so we did need the Wolf trim kit. I think it looks great together, but I am not super picky about details. We're having trouble getting connected to the internet at our house, but I will try to get a photo and some time at a coffee shop to load it up. Also we just moved in, but so far I love the Wolf. The only drawback is that the manual is not very detailed and I think it will take experimenting to get familiar with how long things take to cook and the best settings. Good luck!
    ...See More

Wolf cooktop/oven or Wolf 36" range

Q

Comments (29)
    Thank you all for the additional information. The main problem I'm having is I have to decide ASAP since the cabinetmaker will not start until I nail this down - he's supposed to start Monday and we're already 8 days behind schedule. The original plan was the Viking+Electrolux, and wiring has been done already. My original original plan was a cooktop + double ovens, but that didn't work out since there was no other place for the MW. So it was suggested to put the second oven under the cooktop. I convinced myself this was better in case either broke, I could replace each easier/cheaper - this may not be true. A couple days ago I thought, why not a Wolf range (since I was revisiting the whole thing) --- but with them being so expensive, and having to redo electrical --- I thought maybe it's easier just to go with the original plan. I'm glad you sent the info on the Bertazzoni since it looks like that cooktop would actually work with my oven -- I was worried I'd be limited since the Wolf cooktop plus some others will NOT work above the Electrolux oven. So I do have some options there if I need to replace.... Thanks again!
    ...See More

EMERGENCY HELP! I WANT TO CRY!! SW ACCESSIBLE BEIGE IS TOOOO GRAY!

Q

Comments (53)
    Help! We are re-doing our kitchen and I need to choose a cabinet color for my maple cabinets. Our home is the Tuscan style from the early 2000’s, so I do want to go with a warmer color. My walls are SW divine white. I like a bit of a darker beige or cream than Divine white to offset the lighter LRV of 72. Has anyone tried SW Natural Linen, BM Natural linen, BM Clay Beige, BM White Sand for cabinets? Also was thinking of Accessible Beige, but afraid it will be too gray. My kitchen is north facing, with minimal light. Our floors are noche travertine. We are going with a lighter granite or quartz and maybe Cle’ tiles for backsplash.
    ...See More
  • dadoes
    16 years ago

Re: the Calypso ... depends on what's wrong. Why don't you have a look before condemning the machine? There may be a foreign object jamming your Calypso's pump. It's NOT difficult to pull the pump to check, and the pump may be OK after removing the object. If not, then replacing the pump also is not difficult, although more expensive than it should be since the new pump would be the redesigned "integrated" version that includes the pump motor. However, you may be able to get one cheaper on eBay, and possibly the original style (of pump separate from pump motor) could be found. I have two Calypsos, bought used, both about 7 years old, and both appear to have the original pumps.

• lascatx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm not condemming it and will have it looked at. We bought the extended warranty because of everyone else's problems with them, so expense is not the issue. I've been told parts would be very hard to impossible to get now.

I don't actually thinkit is the pump or pump alone -- the whole the makes terrible rubbing, squealing noises -- like metal against metal, wehen the tub tries to spin and drain. Maybe that is more likely the motor? I don't know, and I don't know how to take it apart to figure it out. If you can pont me inthe right direction, I'm willing to try to see if the pump is blocked or if I can see anything just inthe interest of time. I've had service calls take 1-2 weeks to schedule, then another week or two to order a part, the scheduling a new appointment. I would like to keep this machine running until we can redo the laundry room and buy new machines for that.

I have seen your posts before, and I understand that these are not bad machines. I had my original one replaced during the first year because of a service/installers error that left the top open to water running inside and shorted out something. After they replaced everything and it kept failing, they took it back -- but I think the machine was good when I got it. I had asked them to check a squeal to see if something needed an adjustment or lubrication while it was still under warranty and they didn't put it back together right.

The dryer has had a computer and control panel replaced, also under the extended warrnty, but I really haven't see the problems with the machine that so many have. Any machine can have a mechanical failure after 7-8 years of constant family use. I'd like double that, and got it out of the Kenmore set that came befoe the Calypso -- and it was donated then -- not dead.

Good news is that DH and I just looked at our last set of drawings for the utility room, made one change and think we might have a plan!

• pugger
    16 years ago

I am curious about the circuit your DO Wolf is on. We installed our DO Wolf 2 years ago now, and except for the 'oil-canning' (popping at first) we really have not had a problem.

There are 2 requirements of the circuit I'm familiar with, one is 40A plus service, and the other is if you upgrade the existing circuit (we had a single GE Profile w/ a 25A Service) but the last bridge to cross was did our wiring have the capability to carry more amps? Our builder, by serendipity or maybe wisdom just happened to use heavy enough gage wire to do so. We sweated that last detail, as we purchased the oven and had it sitting in its box in our garage, as I chased down these "little" details from the breaker box to the existing oven.

I doubt this is your situation, but your problems sure made me think of these details. A deficient circuit could simply trip breakers, or it could burn out components instead.

• dadoes
    16 years ago

The pump may not be the only source of noise, then. It's sometimes a bit difficult to "read between the lines" of a post to determine what exactly is happening. The tub(basket) spinning has nothing directly to do with draining the water. The pump has a separate motor which likewise has nothing to do with spinning the basket. The pump runs almost constantly throughout a cycle, so noise coming from it could seem like it's related to spinning when it's not really. Of course, something *could* also be wrong with the basket drive (u-joint). If so, then that is a more serious matter, involving considerably more breakdown of the machine to fix, and additional parts. Since you have an extended warranty in effect, I'm hesitant to direct you on diagnosing or repairing the machine yourself.

Parts are NOT difficult/impossible to get far as I'm aware. I checked one on-line source (there are several) just now for Whirlpool's Calypso model (you don't say if yours is Kenmore or Whirlpool, but all the mechanicals are identical to both brands), and all the major items are listed as in-stock. However, I'd say there's a possibility that your repair service will recommend trashing the machine ... simply because they won't want to deal with it. If you like the machine and want to keep it going, I'd try holding them to the terms of the contract.

If you're interested in discussing it further, perhaps for instructions on examining the pump yourself and so forth, contact me via e-mail.

• lascatx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, so far so good. Wold agreed to replace the oven without even coming to look at it first. I should have a new one by next week -- and the original warranty is 2 years, so we didn't have an issue there.

The wsher will be looked at tomorrow. Last time we had a call on the washer or dryer everything was one to two weeks out. Let's hope the repair itself goes well. Meanwhile, we think we've come up with a plan for our laundry room. Now we'll have to see what it will take to implement the plan. Not sure I'm ready to hear that. LOL

• jillypie
    16 years ago

Las,
    I am so sorry. I hate these stories. I sure hope the new one is a Star!
    Jillypie

• lascatx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Jillypie, but others shouldn't be too concerned. I seem to have a knack for finding the problem children, especially with this remodel, and Wolf had no questions other than the correct serial number for the ovens or whether I had 2 double ovens because they had 2 different numbers down for me. They got that corrected and said they'd replace them. They had my service record pulled up and said no one should have that much trouble with a new oven.

If a law of averages applies, the new one should be outstanding and have an especially long life. :-)

• jakkom
    16 years ago

lascatx, glad to hear Wolf is doing right by you! We'll keep our fingers crossed that the "little black cloud" over your head will be chased away by a shiny new Wolf DO and re-worked laundry room!

• lascatx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, to give Whirlpool credit too, I got a next day appointment, they guy came and replacd the pump & motor as well as the rubber seal on the tid and I'm up and running again. I'm not sure if I've ever had such a fast repair. Now, I just need those ovens to show up!

• ctlady_gw
    16 years ago

I have to say, we've had our 30" double Wolf wall ovens and 48" rangetop with griddle for nearly two years. So far we've had six service calls all told, one of which was to replace the control panel on the ovens, and several others were related to the ultimate replacement of the entire griddle portion of the rangetop. Added to that, consistent problems with temperature controls on the ovens (including the other night, when it took almost an hour for the lower oven to get to what it claimed was 475 degrees... we wondered when the deep dish pizza took so LONG to cook, only to put an oven thermometer in and find that what the oven said was 475 was in fact more like 350. So I see another service call -- and probably a thermostat? -- in my future.

On the plus side, Wolf/SubZero service has been tremendous: friendly, accommodating, etc. Just seems, for the price these things cost, I shouldn't HAVE to call them!

• lascatx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The service on my washer was done by A&E. I thought I remembered seeing a thread asking if anyone ever had a positive experience with them. We;;, I don't know how this one could have been better.

• lascatx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ctlady, wow. I hope you and I have found lemons. The first guy who came out volunteered that he'd never seen a new Wolf need service and was really surprised. He said he didn't have that many Wolf calls period. I don't know if they no questions, we'll sens a replacement was because of the number of calls I had or the electrical overheating smell and that I didn't really ask for service. I just told them my new kitchen and my home were not going to be put at risk of fire and total loss with another repair and they agreed. But the guy did say I'd had too many service calls too. I'd consider asking for a replacement -- or at least an extension of your warranty. Good luck!

• lascatx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have my new ovens now, and I have to say that I am happier than ever. The racks in these ovens glide more easily, the control panel is more responsive (like the original one -- the replacement was a bit more difficult) and the fan seems to be quieter. I got them cleaned inside and out yesterday and baked some cinnamon rolls this morning. So far, so good. Plan to bake cookies and perhaps some bread today. We'll be giving them a good test, but I like what I'm seeing!

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

I'm so happy for you getting all these ducks in a row and maintaining such (amazing) composure throughout. I would've been a swearing storm .... I'm esp. grateful that these things happened during your warranty (not that I'm glad they happened, but you know what I mean).

Happy baking and washing!

• lascatx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks. I was not a very happy camper the Saturday evening when it happened, and I do remember sporting a monsterous headache that night -- but I don't think I had the energy to swear or curse. I just felt like cryig and hoped it would be okay. Both appliance experiences have turned out for the beter (the washer is working better than before too!). If we're all going to be inconvenienced from time to time, I'm so happy when it works out for the better!

I need to get those cookies going so I can take them to my son before he leaves on a band trip. I was supposed to be going as a chaperone but can't fly -- my ears won't clear. Another mechanical (bio-mechanical) problem! LOL

I'm miss them all, but a senior student who couldn't afford to go and had been overlooked somehow is getting to take my seat, and a collection was taken up so I should get my trip money back. That made me feel so good that I went out and got that student a MC gift card so he;d have some pocket money too. My son was told to breing me back an antenae ball and I'll do something fun with my younger son while they are away. And I won't have to get up at 5:00 Friday morning!

And I'll get to stay home and play withthe puppy we pulled off the streets and saved from worms, mange and starvation (she had a collar on and I foolishly thought we'd find her owner desparately looking for her). We thought we had a family for her last week, and then they decide not to take her. Three or four weeks of TLC and she has become such a lovely, happy and affectionate pup and she gets alond so well with our lab, doesn't upset or chase our cats -- we decided we just might have to keep her. We're trying to figure out a name for the little vixen.

It's been quite a week!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mindstorm
    16 years ago

Lascatx,
    Your little Emma is beautiful. What a sweetheart! And how good of you to take her in - the tale: "saved from worms, mange and starvation (she had a collar on and I foolishly thought we'd find her owner desparately looking for her)" sounds heartbreaking for her. I'm so glad that gorgeous thing has a good home for her now.

Sounds like the wonderfully working brand new Wolf is a reward for being good to Emma AND for being a good luck charm for your son's schoolmate. Somehow I have a feeling your bio-mechanical problem will sort itself out the moment that flight takes off. ;-)

Congratulations on having it all straighten out. Might want to protect the cookies from Emma. My dog loved baked *anything* - well, except vegetables - and was especially big on baked desserts.