SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnfever

Finished budget guest bath

We decided to put a jetted tub in the guest bath to help DH with his arthritis. Then the dominos fell: redo tub wall to allow 66" tub, remove tub tile surround, tile wainscot, tile floor, replace vanity top, faucets, lights, fan, heating, and oh yeah add a tv so he can watch football highlights in the morning while he soaks. And plaster the walls.

Here're the before pics. It was and is a small bath so pics were difficult.

Caveats: I started out going for transitional contemporary (thanks again to Palimpsest for my house style!) and halfway through (DIY + retired = 8 months! Luckily master bath and powder rooms were available) realized it should be more rustic contemporary given the house's fireplace, beams, etc. If I end up doing a backsplash (haven't missed it so far), it may be a stone veneer to help with the rustic. The vanity is in really good shape and there are somewhere around 40-50 other golden oak cabs in the house so it stayed as is.

Here's the afters:

and here're enough details to put everyone to sleep:

Tub: Hydromassage acrylic (Mystique? maybe is the model) made in Denver and ordered /shipped free from WI dealer. At the last minute DH had to have air in the addition to the jets, and those are the only thing I've had trouble keeping clean.

Surround: Onyx Collection Cappuchino--found due to people on this forum so thank you!! Very easy to clean. Heavy panels so DH needed a couple friends for the large back panel.

Train rack from Amazon for $15--again thanks to this forum! Fits the space and is nice though I would get a wider one if I had the space.

Shower set w/valve and sink faucet: Kohler Fairfax in chrome from FaucetDirect who provided great service. Handshower is Price Pfister (again with the budget!) A Kensington Brass diverter to switch between and Delta retrofit 6' hose to rinse the whole shower.

Vanity top/sink: Sesame gold (I'm sure it's an alias) granite with white undermount sink from Denver Granite Tile --both for $200! I sure didn't expect to get a solid surface and sink for that. They were cool too about doing a cut to fit our offset sink requirement for $10.

Vanity light: Progress Lynzie 3-light from FaucetDirect/ LightingDirect. Hard to install but you only do that once, right?

Walls: American Clay plaster in Sulfer Springs (behind door) and Nantucket Sand on other walls. The natural clay plaster helps absorb humidity and provides great texture and depth.

Floor: Trafficmaster Allure Ultra vinyl click flooring, $3sqft and waterproof-love it!

Underfloor heat: Carbonic heat mat--super thin and works great! *Love* it!! Thanks to stacyneil for her timely bath remodels, though we ended up not needing to do SLC.

Toilet: swapped white toilet from powder room to match white tub and sink --free! (Powder room now has matching Mexican Sand toilet and cultured marble sink, sigh)

Mirror frame: Moulding from Lowe's, stained by us and mounted with double-sided tape. More thanks to this forum. This frame made a much bigger impact than we ever thought it would, we were very surprised.

Fan: Broan ultra quiet with humidity sensor--another forum recommendation! It *is* very quiet. We wanted to be able to turn the fan on manually so needed to separately order a two-button switch.

Soap dispenser: Simplehuman works well and I like being able to use the soap color. Cleaning takes a bit to get used to without getting spit at.

Shower rod: Moen adjustable 66". I hadn't wanted adjustable since someone said that the curtain rings get caught in the middle and it's true argh. But a very small argh.

Towel holder: I hate clanking towel rings. The towel can just slip off of the Moen paper holder as needed.

Shower curtain: DH wanted to be able to sit on the tub edge so no tracks and I really didn't want to deal with any glass, or doors in such a small bath.

TV: Visio. There's a vent pipe smack between the two outlets above the toilet, or the whole thing would've been inset into the wall. I even had the granite piece from the vanity top trimming to use as the back of it :(. Bummer.

Everything has worked out very well. One regret is staying with 1/2'' plumbing instead of splurging for the 3/4'', but the valve was so much more for the larger size.

Many thanks to you contributors on the forum and those who perserved reading to the end!

cheers

Comments (15)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County