SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mushcreek

Potential LED recessed light problem

mushcreek
10 years ago

I ran into an interesting dilemma when using recessed LED lights designed to go in ceiling cans. I have bought 6 so far, and am happy with the performance. Our new house will use 18 of them, so I decided to buy the rest of them, based on my trial run. Guess what? They are no longer available! No big deal, as there are plenty to choose from, but of course, they don't match the ones I already have.

This presents a problem. Given the long life expectancy, it's reasonable to assume that by the time you have one fail, you won't be able to get a matching one. I can just picture one of those spectacular great rooms with 24 cans. One mismatched fixture would stick out like a sore thumb!

I'm going to use the 6 I already have in less important rooms, so it's not obvious that they don't match. I'm torn now as to whether I should buy spares for the kitchen, where there are 8 of them. Ceiling cans may go the way of the do-do anyway, since they are notorious air leakers. Dedicated LED down fixtures don't really need separate cans, and I think that will be the new trend in lighting. Meanwhile, there are millions of cans in use out there, and people will be using the retrofit LED's more and more. Something to think about when planning your lighting. At $30 or more each, they're not exactly 'throw-aways'.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting