SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxyplx

Weather Vane

12 years ago

http://s1177.photobucket.com/albums/x355/zylxnp/?action=view&current=BigBird003.jpg

If the photo link works you can see my weathervane and that lots is missing; the wattles under the head and what I presume would be a humungous tail. It is made of wood and the fan still works. I don't know if this is classified as a whirly gig or not.

I would like to build a tail for this. It must be damnall big to balance the vane at the bolt. I'm not an arteest and need something to go on.

Can't find anything that might approximate this which I might use for a pattern or guide. All I get on Google is sites selling stuff or informing me just how clever they are at fixing antiques. None of it looks like this. Haven't found any forums except this one.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? make a suggestion where to look? Is this a one off vane? a commercial product?

It looks quite old to me just from the shade of that green color. I'd guess 1920 but it's just a guess. The yellow clamp balances a missing fan blade.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!