SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mangotoo

French door Vs. Side X side refrigerator

mangotoo
14 years ago

I once decided on the Maytag French door called Ice2O. It was a first of its kind. Due to the Ice and water service on the door. Within a year the unit had multiple problems especially the ice dispenser. The reason cited for this was the fact that everytime the refrigerator was opened, the ice machine lost its ability to achieve a deep freeze necessary for good ice volume. I was told that the french door/ bottom freezer design was flawed because a design like french doors should not have the ice maker in the fridge compartment; Which is why side X side units reported fewer problems regarding ice production. That being said, I like the french door design because I think there's more room. However, I can't give up the Ice and water dispenser due to the 8 little hands always seeking ice water. We've since given up on french doors and when we were granted an exchange, I went with another side x side. It's rough though.Leading names like Viking, Thermador, DCS. Sub Zero, and other brands do not have models like french doors with ice and water units because they are aware of the desighn flaw so I was told. Big sale today and tomorrow and I need your opinion please.

Comments (4)