SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldworlddreamer

Looking for old world building concepts

oldworlddreamer
10 years ago

Hi all - as my name here reflects, I am dearly in love with old world styles, mainly French, Italian and Spanish. I have 13+ acres in the foothills of Central California on which to build; water, electric and house pad for an ample size house is all ready completed. My problem is, my wife and I have reconciled the fact that the house plan we have wanted is just too big (3,500 sq ft) or should I say beyond our budget. So if we don't compromise quality, we have no other choice but to cut the size down. What I'd like to do is develop a plan that can reflect an Italian, French or Spanish farm house that can be built in phases or is expandable so that if / when we sell the future owners are not locked in to a 2,000 sq ft house.

My next problem is, rarely do I find any house plans that have that old world charm. If I do, the actual floor plan is so out dated that using it is impractical. I must add this building site is not typical residential; it's on a granite bluff right next to the wilderness. We are 46 miles on nearly unending wilderness to the summit of Mt. Whitney.

Thirdly, I always wonder why more houses are not built out of cement block. Houses are built that way all over the world - but when you come to California, you have to be Costco or some other mega shopping center 'big box' to warrant concrete block - but for a home, all of a sudden the entire state is an earthquake zone.

Hope I can get some direction & input here,

OWD

Comments (8)