SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madtown_2006_gw

need help replacing old thicker tile with new tile

madtown_2006_gw
15 years ago

Hi! I have posted on this forum a couple times, but mostly just lurk from time to time. Am about to embark on some renovations to our 1930Âs bath and IÂm looking for some suggestions.

A little backgroundÂThis is the only full bath in our 1930Âs home. A few years ago we updated the toilet and the sink ($ did not allow for a total renovation). We also had some draining and dripping problems in the tub so we had the old drum trap replaced with a P-trap and we replaced the tub/shower faucet.

At this point we would like to replace all the tile work. Walls and shower/tub surround only; the floors are staying. They are in pretty good condition and we like the vintage look. The wall tiles are actually metal. They were glazed over by the previous owners about 4 years ago, and that glazing is now starting peel off. All 4 walls are tiled and there is a 7" high tile baseboard. The thickness of the old tile at the floor is 1.5" (5/8" for the wall tile and 7/8" for the base board). WeÂd like to use a basic white subway tile with some type of accent. I also like the look of the black tile baseboard. I was looking at the Dal subway tiles and they are only 5/16" thickÂ.IÂm guessing the base tile is not over an inch thick, so how do we address the gap that will remain between the floor tile and the wall tile? (I really hope this makes sense!) Has anyone dealt with this before?

Comments (8)