SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

budget dilemma: keep old whirlpool tub?

lisa_a
12 years ago

We're trying to find ways to trim the master bath remodel budget. We've found some small savings already but it might not be enough. So I'm eying the tub.

18 years ago, our builder talked us into a whirlpool tub. I didn't want one, don't really care for them. I much prefer a soaking tub with soft music and bath oils, which doesn't mix well with a whirlpool tub. But we were swayed by our builder who said that everyone wants whirlpool tubs and that it would hurt us at resale if we didn't have one. I've regretted that decision every since. We've used the tub about 6-8 times. What a waste. I've dreamed about replacing it with a soaking tub for a long time.

So now we're redoing the bathroom, updating the finishes from laminate and vinyl. If ever we were going to replace the tub, now's the time to do it. Enter stick shock.

So now I'm second guessing myself, thinking that if I've only used the tub 6-8 times in all these years, I can probably live without a soaking tub for the 5, 10, or 15 years we expect to remain in this home.

But then I wonder if keeping an older whirlpool tub - with its yellowing jets - will be an issue when we sell.

On the other hand, so what if it is? If it bugs the next owners, they can replace the tub.

Argh, help, I am mired in analysis paralysis.

Have any of you faced a similar situation? What did you do? I would appreciate any words of wisdom. TIA!

(I don't suppose there's an easy way to make those yellowing jets white again, is there?)

Comments (25)