SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ctlady_gw

Bathtubs ... to keep or not to keep, that is the question...

ctlady_gw
15 years ago

We have a 1959-era bathroom that we need to renovate. Among it's other "charms" it has a relatively small (standard length but very shallow) bathtub (with a shower, standard 1960s tiled wall, etc.) tucked beneath a sloping ceiling (the house is a Dutch colonial so there are sloped ceilings to accommodate the eaves in the front rooms).

So here's my question: the house has three bathrooms, two upstairs (including the master) and one downstairs. All three currently have tubs (the master bath having a huge Japanese soaking type tub with a completely separate shower). We plan to eliminate the old tub in the downstairs bath (which functions more as a powder room most of the time) and replace it with a small, glass shower unit. (We want to keep some bathing capacity on the first floor for those times when we need to use the first floor library as an extra guest room.)

How important is it to retain a full bath and shower in the second bathroom (upstairs, serving three of the four bedrooms)? (I guess I'm talking resale/home value here, since everyone who currently uses that bathroom - visitors, family staying over, etc. -- takes a shower.) I've been told it's very important NOT to give up that bathtub, but I am wondering if all of you on this forum would agree? It seems to me that people take baths much less often than they used to and that with the gorgeous European style showers available, that might have just as much value to another family as a small(er) bathtub. All things being equal, I would much rather covert the current tiled tub with wall-mounted shower (circa 1960) to a stunning glass shower unit with a seat, etc. But I don't want to make a change like that if it will significantly decrease the appeal of the house to another buyer down the road (we're not planning to leave any time soon, but we also don't expect this to be our home forever).

Many thanks for any opinions as to keeping a tub in some form or going with nothing but a really good shower setup.

Comments (13)