What happened to the taste of Coffee?
20 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (32)
- 20 years ago
- 20 years ago
Related Discussions
What is best tasting heat set tomato
Comments (7)I hate to rain on your parade, but this is a question that doesn't appear to have a particularly satisfactory answer. In my area, I have come to the conclusion that the best I can do is get my crop in the ground as early as possible, without planting them into cold ground. AND to give them the very best possible growing conditions: plenty of organic soil amendments like manure dug in deeply, plenty of space between the plants, plenty of water, timely additions of fertilizer, and MULCH to keep the soil as cool and moist for as long as possible. I grew 17 varieties this year. The best tasting and most productive ones did pretty well the same, regardless of the hype. The early ones were not all that early. The so-called heat tolerants were not that much different. In early July, I took cuttings from my favorites and rooted them in 4 inch pots. I set them in the ground this week in an area that gets some shade in the afternoon. I am HOPING to have a fall crop, but that will depend on the amount of rain we get, and just how hot it gets. If the temps stay below 93 or so, I am hopeful I'll get some. If not, well, there will be collards and kale to plant in their spot later. Since I do live in a hot climate, I will give you my list just FYI. I will rate them #1: very productive (for an heirloom) and tasty. #2: So tasty that I forgive them for not being as productive. #3: Either not productive or not tasty enough for me to want to grow them again. Big Beef: one of 2 hybrids I grew. Not as tasty as the heirlooms, but better than Big Boy, Better Boy, etc. I will grow it again. It was more productive than the heirlooms. Black Krim: #1 Aunt Ruby's German Green #2 Brandywine: #2 Tropic: #1 New to me this year. Can't see that it's any better in the heat than others, but it's a winner nevertheless. Amish Paste: #3 Matina: #3 OSU Blue: #3 Mortgage LIfter: #3 Green Zebra:#1 (very thin skinned, so damages and rots easily. but YUM and productive) Sungold: #1 My other hybrid. I would grow this above all others. Black Cherry: #1 Juliet #3 San Marzano: #3 Tommy Toes: #1 Isis Candy: #1 Evergreen: #3...See Moredo coffee grounds make tomatoes taste bitter?
Comments (7)I have a compost-tumbler outside the back door for kitchen waste, and most of what goes in it is coffee grounds, in addition to eggshells, shrimp shells, citrus rinds and anything my dogs or chickens can't eat (which ain't much). All that compost goes to the tomatoes, so I can definitively say that no, coffee grounds don't make tomatoes bitter. Hopefully your friend will try a different variety, Early Girl just isn't that tasty, period....See MoreTaste in music / taste in design
Comments (19)Frank Lloyd Wright was hugely influenced by music. It's generally agreed that there were five main influences on Lloyd Wright's architecture: nature, Louis Sullivan, Japan, Friedrich Froebel and music. Wright himself stated "Music and architecture blossom on the same stem—sublimated mathematics. Mathematics as presented by geometry. Instead of the musician’s systematic staff and intervals, the architect has a modular system as a framework of design. My father, a preacher and music teacher, taught me to see—to listen—to a symphony as an edifice of sound. All my lifetime I have listened to Beethoven—especially—as the master architect of all time: the most profound student of Nature known—one whose inspired imaginative resource is beyond comparison. I am grateful to music and to him for genuine refreshment in architecture—my field of creative endeavor. Dissonance will take care of itself." Beethoven and Bach played a significant role. But he was also heavily influenced by his father, W. Carey Wright, a composer himself, Unitarian hymns and popular turn of the century parlor songs....See MoreAre they dumbing down the taste of coffee?
Comments (27)I don't drink coffee, but my brother roasts his own beans because he likes a blond roast, and he makes the coffee very weak when he brews it. I've tasted it and think it is terrible, but if I drink a cup of it, it severely upsets my stomach. I also hate the smell of roasting beans, and so Kevin roasts them outside, which is not a problem, since we have plenty of electrical outlets outdoors. He seems to have stopped drinking coffee altogether - possibly because he thought it was too much trouble to make, and he doesn't need it anymore. It is easy to stop drinking it if all you drink is weak blond coffee....See More- 20 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- last year
- last year
- last year
Related Stories

HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: Goodwill and Good Taste in a Grand Colonial
Welcoming the community for charity fundraisers and more, this Massachusetts home radiates graciousness
Full Story
LIFEWhen Your Tastes Clash: How to Design and Decorate as a Couple
Want to keep the peace? Work with both of your styles when remodeling, decorating or building new, for a home that feels right to all
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: An Opposite-Tastes Couple Finds a Happy Medium
Cherished antiques rub elbows with contemporary furnishings in this intimate-feeling open-plan Chicago condo
Full Story
LIVING ROOMSRoom of the Day: Living Room Decor Marries a Couple’s Individual Tastes
She likes Southern sophisticated; he likes modern. See how a designer combines their favorite styles in this Atlanta space
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESBring a Taste of Italy Home With 12 Design Touches
No vacation plans abroad? You can still get the feel of old-world Italy with these ideas from an Italian designer
Full Story
EVENTSHappening Now: The Brimfield Antique Show
Take a peek at the largest outdoor antiques show in the United States
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESBook Tour: Exotic Taste — Orientalist Interiors
Get a gorgeous glimpse of the impact Asian and Middle Eastern design has had on Western interiors
Full Story
GROUND COVERSGive Your Lawn a Taste of the Wild
Consider the joys of an irregularly trimmed meadow lawn: It’s ecofriendly, visually interesting and still good for romping
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Mugs to Suit Every Taste
Winter means hot drinks, and everyone knows that a hot drink tastes better in the right mug
Full Story
TASTEMAKERSPro Chefs Dish on Kitchens: Michael Symon Shares His Tastes
What does an Iron Chef go for in kitchen layout, appliances and lighting? Find out here
Full Story
Lisa Frequency