SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kayec28

Hate my microwave! Looking for recs for a new one...

kayec28
13 years ago

Let me start by saying I already own a new stainless microwave, namely a GE Profile, and I hate it. Maybe hate is too strong a word, but I deeply dislike it. It's going in my garage sale if someone can recommend a better one that won't break the bank.

I don't require very much of my microwaves--I cook the occasional potato dish, reheat leftovers and use the timer alot. So what I need from my microwave is a good "Add a minute" feature, a good timer, size enough for a 13x9 casserole dish to fit and decent power. I have a microwave shelf so I don't need an over the range style.

What I don't like about my microwave, and it may sound petty, but petty annoyances on a daily basis tend to build up...

1. The timer--it dings once to let you know the time is up. Just. once. If you're out of the room or watching a loud TV program when it dings, you're SOL. If you're doing something that requires a two or three step process it can really be annoying that you didn't hear the timer and now you've lost 10-15 minutes or more. And since I also use the microwave timer as my oven timer, I've almost burned quite a few dishes already. As annoying as I used to find those microwaves that wouldn't stop intermittently beeping until you came and hit the stop button, I can now appreciate that feature.

2. The Add a minute button. IMO the add a minute button should also be a power button. On the GE Profile, you hit the add a minute, and then you have to hit start. Again, petty I know, but it's a double movement that is a waste of time. It's the only microwave I've ever owned where you had to do that.

Please can someone recommend a more efficient stainless microwave? The kinds of things I'm looking for aren't readily apparent until you get it home and start using it.

Comments (6)