SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pbrisjar

Induction - Do these times seem right?

pbrisjar
15 years ago

So I was doing some experimenting this weekend trying to decide if I should keep my stainless-clad, copper core pans or switch out to all stainless and/or cast iron. For my testing I used a 10" base skillet - one the stainless/copper core, one cast iron. About the only difference in shape is that the stainless one curves out and in on the sides whereas the cast iron one (Lodge) curves out.

I added 2 coffee cups of fresh water (comes to 1 1/3 cup) to the pan and turned on power boost.

Using my largest burner, on power boost, it took about 1 minute to get bubbles on the bottom (slightly less for the cast iron). It took the stainless 1 minute 50 seconds to get to a full boil and the cast iron 1 minute 30 seconds. Intetresting: I just tested with my Goodwill stock pot (really thin metal no idea what but it is magnetic) and it got to bubbles in 45 seconds, full boil in just under 1 minute 30 seconds (still kinda slow I think).

Am I missing something? Are my expectations too high? How long does yours take?

The stove is hooked up to 50 amp service as the specs require. Test was done with no other hobs or anything else on. For reference, I have the Kenmore Elite induction slide-in. Specs say the high end power/output is comparable with other units (according to the chart I saw on the induction site).

Comments (23)