SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
billwa28

How to fix Capital Culinarian burner "starters"?

BillWA28
10 years ago

I'm hugely disappointed in having to post this, but I'm at the end of my own knowledge on this problem.

I bought a Culinarian 36" 6-burner rangetop for our new construction home mid-2012, and it was not actually in use until Oct. 2012 (it sat for 3-4 months waiting for the kitchen to be ready). In any case, fast forward to Oct. 2013, and 2 burners will not light up.

One "starter" will click 1-5 times before stopping, without lighting the burner, the other will not click at all. I've tried swapping the burners (unhooking the wire and moving the whole burner to another position), and the burners in the "bad" positions will light fine in one of the other four positions. So the burner/ignitor is not the issue.

I reached out to Eurostoves/Trevor, since I bought it from them and have parts warranty (labor is only 1 year). He forwarded my issue to Capital. Waited, and nothing from them. Finally had time to call during the day (we just had our daughter at the end of Oct. 2013), and talked to Ever. He asked that I check the switch behind the knob, and it looked fine. I even took time to take off the knobs, bezel, so I can remove the front "plate" to get better view/access to the switches that complete the circuit for the ignitor, everything seems fine, and electricity is present, checked with a multi-meter (don't do this if you're not confident, there is live wiring behind that plate).

I'm open to doing the work myself, only if I know how to further diagnose what part I need, since I can most likely do the work myself. My wife is peeved that we spent more (my decision) on the rangetop, and it was not 3x better (in her eyes) than the sealed burner GE unit in the old house. Yes, it boils water quicker, and has more BTUs, but I'm starting to lean towards her side in that it doesn't seem to be worth 3x the money at this point.

Comments (12)