SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crl_

Countertop/vanity thoughts? Spinning in circles a bit

crl_
11 years ago

We are hoping to remodel our tiny master bath in our 1926 "Normandy-style" house this spring. The bathroom is in a 1938 addition, the shower is leaking, it's very, very, very small and it's connected to the wrong bedroom. None of the finishes are anything special and we won't be trying to salvage any of them.

I am trying to make some preliminary decisions so we can talk with contractors and get meaningful bids. My goals are durable and easy to clean surfaces. I'd like to get two sinks into the space. And, while I am not going for a period perfect look, I want the bathroom to look appropriate to the house.

After consulting codes and layout guidelines, we have a preliminary layout that works with the door and window locations and that allows for two sinks. But the sink space is quite narrow to allow a full 30 inches, plus a couple extra for wiggle room,between the sinks and the shower.

I was originally planning on a pair of wall-hung sinks, but dh has requested counter space. So I am now contemplating a custom vanity to fit the space (approximately 5.5 feet by 15 inches.

I had not thought about countertop materials or sinks to go with a counter.

I am currently thinking a cast iron shower pan, white subway tiles with a grey liner, grey linolieum (not vinyl) floors possibly with a simple white inlay design, vintage chrome medicine cabinets from Pottery Barn and chrome fixtures.

So, after all that, what I am having the most trouble with is the countertop material. Teak? And put a fold-down teak bench in the shower as well to tie together? How would this look with the grey and white? Teak is gorgeous but I think of it in more modern/spa bathrooms and I am having a bit of trouble seeing it in a more vintage look. I have tried to search Houzz and see a lot of modern/spa bathrooms with teak, but not coming up with much for an inspiration picture in a vintage bathroom.

Soapstone? Love the look. I would not oil it, just let it darken naturally.

Secondarily, how would you design the vanity? I love the look of open at the bottom vanities, but am concerned about having to clean under one. I really want easy to clean stuff.

And finally, what kind and size of sinks should I be looking at? White vitreous china? Oval or rectangular? Undermount? With faucets mounted on the side?

Thank you for reading my long spiel and for any thoughts!

Comments (21)