SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
honeychurch_gw

vacuums: riccar or miele, upright or canister?

honeychurch
12 years ago

Hi everyone--

I'm looking for a new vacuum, as I'm sick of the bagless dust dervish currently "cleaning" my floors--more like redistributing the dust, but whatever, my fault for going cheap, right?

I've established that I want something with a bag. We are not very allergic people, and having a standard poodle don't have to deal with too much pet hair. But we like clean, and dust-free, and living in a 140 yo house that is not always an easy goal.

On the first floor, we have hardwood floors, porcelain tile, and marmoleum. All of the rooms with wood also have sizable area rugs (so more rug than wood in these rooms), but there has to be an easy transition between the two, like a simple push of a button.

The stairs and two bedrooms have wall-to-wall berber carpet, and the rest of the upstairs hallway and BRs are again wood floors with area rugs.

From what I have read, canisters are recommended for hard floors and uprights for carpets, but for someone like me with both--which one is better and easier?I think I read on another post here "Riccar for upright, Miele for canister?"

I like the Riccar/Simplicity lines because they are made in the USA and seem to have a good reputation. I have a dealer about an hour away. Seems like the Brilliance line might be the way to go?

I like the Miele also because of reputation, and was thinking along the lines of the Callisto (but does this easily switch between floor and carpet or do I have to switch the brush head out each time?)...I also like this option because I could purchase on-line.

Thanks!

Comments (10)