SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cornweer

Concrete counter and copper vessel sinks

19 years ago

This project was a DIY that my husband and I both worked on. We arent finished yet, we still need to reface the cabinets, but I am so proud of how well our counters turned out I had to share it with someone! We poured the countertop ourselves. It took a lot of time, and a lot of grinding, but I think it was worth it. For the counter we bought the following:

4 - bags of Quickrette 5000 (approx $5/bag at Lowes)

2 - bottles of Quickrette Concrete Dye - Color Buff (approx $5 per bottle at Lowes)

1 - 4 inch electric grinder (Cheapest one Lowes had at around $40)

1 GFI extension cord (pretty important when you are wet grinding with electric)$25 at Lowes

Grinding Pads - I used diamond grinding pads from Harbour Freight, they were the cheapest. I got 2 of each grit: 100, 200, 300, 500, 800, 1000, 3000, and 10,000. For all of the grinding pads and shipping it was about $65.

I also had to buy a rubber backing pad and hook and loop backer at Lowes for about $15 so they would attach to my grinder.

Penetrating Sealer for Concrete - I bought a gallon can of it and even after putting 3 coats on I still have most of the can left. Approx $10 at Ace Hardware

Carnuba Wax - I had some in my garage for waxing my car, so it didnt cost us anything.

"Concrete Counters" book by Fu-Tung Cheng. This is a must have item for creating concrete counters. Amazon.com $20.00

The sinks I got on ebay for $175 each.

The faucets are by Fontaine Faucets. I bought them online for around $75 each.

Antique Bronze Tailpieces for the drains. $50 each special order at plumbing supply store. Little did I realize when selecting my sinks and faucets that you have to have a special drain that works with vessel sinks. After numerous special orders, and 6 weeks of waiting we finally go ones that worked.

Bathroom

Comments (27)