SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

Anyone Have CC w/ LP?

drjoann
13 years ago

I just want to preface this with the fact that we live in Houston and our LP CC is in our new home in SC. We're still awaiting our C/O and we only get to go there about once a month until we move (date unknown), so I can't just go over to the range to try things out.

Also, I haven't cooked with gas for 20 years, I've never had electronic igniters and the only LP range I've used is the one at my grandparent's summer home over 20 years ago. I know what to expect from a pilot light, but not these "clicky" things.

Anyway, when I was in SC just after Christmas, the CC was installed, but it was really hard to get even one of the burners to light. The igniter would click and a few tiny blue flames would appear, but I couldn't get all of the pinholes in all of the rings to light before I smelled too much gas & turned it off because I was scared. The guy who installed it happened to come by for something else while we were there & he said that the way to get the whole burner to light was to blow on it & then it would work. Is that the way you are supposed to do it? I really wasn't expecting that when I chose to go with gas.

Anyway, I happened to have my laptop with me with the Eurostoves video on it for adjusting the air shutter, so I showed it to him. He was concerned about how much gas we were smelling, so he turned it off & that was the end of experimenting with the air/gas mixture for that trip.

In the meantime, the HVAC sub verified that there was 10" WC pressure being delivered to the range, so that should be OK. DH went to SC in mid-January and verified that the number stamped on the burner orifices is correct for LP. He tried to adjust the air shutter, but he still couldn't get all of the pinholes in a given burner to light without blowing on them. I didn't see what he did so I can't vouch for the fact that he tried all the combinations of adjustment that he should have. He had lots of tasks to do in a short amount of time and he gave it his best shot.

Obviously, the next time we are there, we will try the air shutter adjustment, again, but we're wondering if this behavior of not lighting without blowing on the burner can be attributed solely to the air/gas mixture. Is there anything besides the burner orifices that are unique to LP vs Natural Gas? We have a very early model and it's likely one of the very first with LP.

So, if there are any other folks out there with CC's on LP, we would appreciate some feedback on how yours works and how easy it was to get it adjusted. (Yes, we've been communicating with Trevor & we will likely try to get him on the line when we are there next. We have a little problem of poor cell coverage because of location & we don't have a landline, yet.)

Thanks - Jo Ann

Comments (8)