SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msloane794

The REAL Refridgerator Manufacturers?

msloane794
16 years ago

I'm trying to plan a kitchen remodel, and I'm trying to get info on refridgerators, particularly the French Door models. At one appliance store, a sales-person (who appeared to be pretty knowledable) made an interesting statement. He said that there were fundamentally two refridgerator manufacturers: Amana and LG. He said everybody else purchases their units from Amana or LG, add's their "bells and whiltles", trim, and logo, and sells it as their own. The salesman went on to show me the fundamental differences between the Amana and LG designs, as they pertained to the French Door models.

Following that, I spent the day shopping at several other stores, and I observed things that seemed to support the sales-guy's statement. If you look at the door hinges, and the mechanics of how the doors close, I observed three fundamentally different designs.

I saw Kitchen Aid models that looked nearly exactly the same as the Amana. I saw some GE models that looked like the Amana, and other GE's that looked like the LG. All of the models I looked at seemed to be essentially the same as either the Amana or the LG, except for the Samsung models. The Samsung design looked fundamentally different from the other two.

So, based upon my observations, I would guess that there are three real fridge manufacturers, and I'm guessing they are Amana, LG, and Samsung.

Does anybody have any idea if the "two or three fridge manufacturers" idea is close to being accurate?

If this is true, is there any thought about which "real" manufacturer produces the most reliable product?

Comments (21)