SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

Age old Basement Flooring Questions

andrelaplume2
11 years ago

Please clarify. Regarding water issues in the basement and flooring�I believe there are two issues;

1) Some sort of catastophic event�.waterheater leaks, washing machine hose bursts�etc. In this, my understanding is no matter what you have done�your flooring is going to be an issue�repalcing wood. pulling carpet, perhaps even a painted floor peeling.

2) I understand the concrete needs to breathe and water vapor comes up thru the floor. I have heard from worthy and company (if I understand correctly) that, to prevent mold, the water vapour needs to pass thru what ever flooring you put down�UNLESS you are putting foam board down first. I AM NOT PUTTING FOAM BOARD DOWN FIRST!

So, I think I understood that you could put carpet down but it needs to be made of a particular fiber that 'breathes'. I understand no padding should be put underneath. Is this correct? Do they not make a breathable padding?

If you go with vinyl flooring (like the ALLURE stuff from HD�how does that allow the flooring to breathe? Does in not trap mositure underneath it�will that not mold or is is it such a minute amount it does not matter? It says it can be used in basements?

What about tile�same issue no?

I want to get this right. To be honest my first thought was to stain the concrete and use area rugs. Asthetics aside (this is a hangout area�its nothing fancy down there) I have read that the concrete stains are pretty much more like paint�and they peal�so much for that idea... I have seen rubber flooring, like at a gym�still the bretahability issue arises.

Whats the cheapest product, easistest to install and least aggravation to deal with should there be a flood? I think I have come full circle back to some sort of carpeting�.would it be stupid to put some sort of low pile carpet down and an area rug on top it in areas where the kids might be on the floor?

Comments (22)