SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ailene54

Suggestions on how to find right furniture repair person?

Ilene Perl
12 years ago

Hi, When bringing in 50sq ft of tile for my new back splash DH put all tiles over the two open leafs of my antique French Provintial table made from cherry wood. When I came home, and removed all tiles the damage was already done. One leg is both cracked and is loose from the table. One of the leafs split slightly in the middle and a second leg is loose, with no visible splits. Obviously I am devistated, after moving (while crying) the tiles form my fragile 75 yr old table I immediately noticed the leg which was loose, DH with his not so gentle touch hit it to go back into the table, that is when I belive it split in two and started to chip. I have 6 chairs, server, and hutch for this set. The top of server and hutch are in perfect shape, the dinning table top looks worn, I cover it with a tapestry and silk flower arrangement and have never thought of refinishing the damage my family caused during holiday meals when I was a child. As you may have guessed the table is centimental to me, it's actual worth I have no idea. I have a furniture repair person coming to my house tomorrow, but have no idea what would be a resonable price to fix my table. In my head I figure spending 2-4 hundred would be fine. I am wondering if because of it's age the chairs and any other parts of the furniture need to be repaired. Several years ago a very heavy person sat on one of the chairs, when it "creeked", he got up immediately, I have never heard it "creek" like that since. Are there furniture repair people who deal only with Antiqes, or am I ok using a regular furniture repair person. I had difficulty finding someone to come to my house for an estimate, I do not have a way of getting my table to a store without reting a truck. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. FYI I furnished my living room around the few French Provintial pieces I saved when I had to break up my Grandmother's home. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Comments (3)