SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjtave

Wall oven advice: single-double or standard?

sjtave
15 years ago

I've tried searching the forum and haven't found anything that answers my question, but if there's a thread that I'm missing, please feel to direct me to it!

We are doing a complete remodel of our kitchen and have picked out most of the appliances, but we're spinning our wheels on what the best option and configuration for wall oven and microwave. (We're doing a separate gas cooktop, so I'm looking at a 30-inch electric wall oven with microwave above.)

I think I've narrowed it down to two choices: either (1) the GE Profile single-double wall oven, or (2) a Bosch 800 series or Thermador Masterpiece. The GE Profile has a lot of appeal because I think it works well with the way we cook -- most of the time we use our oven for casseroles, pizzas, baking (i.e., low-ish dishes) and rarely if ever for large turkeys/hams. So I don't think we really need the capacity to cook anything more than a 22-pound bird, and given our light baking needs, I'd think it would be a big energy saver to only have to heat up a smaller part of the oven.

On the other hand, the GE Profile single-double is really new, and I haven't been able to find any feedback on how people like using it. (I also can't get a clear sense of what people think about the brand.) And functionality aside, it doesn't seem to be as nice of an oven as others on the market (exposed elements, no rolling racks, etc.) Also, one salesperson suggested to me that GE Monogram usually follows Profile by about a year, so if we wait then Monogram may put out a higher-end version of the single-double. I haven't seen anything to corroborate that, though.

If we don't do the single-double, then we'll likely pick either the Bosch 800 or Thermador Masterpiece. Does anyone know what the differences between the two are? So far all I can tell are that (a) the Bosch has amber lettering, and the Thermador has blue; (b) the Bosch handle attaches to the glass front, and the Thermador attaches to the stainless; and (c) the Thermador costs a few hundred dollars more (which I may be willing to pay since I like the look a little better).

If we end up going with the "standard" single oven, then I am torn over whether we should get a convection microwave or a standard microwave. We just moved into a house with a 20-year old Monogram convection microwave, and it doesn't work well at all. Given our lifestyle (both working, with little kids) we do a lot of microwaving, so it's important to have a good microwave. On the other hand, if we're only doing a single oven, it would be nice to have a space available for those times when we want to cook something at a second temperature, or if we neeed extra oven space. It looks like the Bosch/Thermador convection microwaves (I would want them to match) are 950 watts. Would we notice the difference between that and 1100 or 1200 watts? I don't know how much of the problem with our current microwave is age and how much is that it just doesn't microwave as well.

The last twist in this problem is that if we pick the GE Profile single-double, it looks like the only matching built-in microwave option is the Advantium, which leads me back to the same question -- will we be happy with how the Advantium works when we just want to Microwave? We're going for a clean, seamless look, so I'd really rather not mix and match a microwave with an oven.

For what it's worth, other appliances we've picked include Dacor gas cooktop, Miele dishwasher, and either Miele or Sub-Zero fridge. (Which raises another question -- is GE Profile "out of place" in a kitchen with those appliances?)

Thanks in advance -- as so many others have said, this forum is an invaluable resource!

Comments (5)