SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nctrnl

Hiding things from your landlord.

nctrnl
16 years ago

Lets make this a fun thread, ok? No bashing, no judging, ok?

AT the apartment I live in, because I dont exactly live like an average joe, I have to hide things from my landlord. Basically because of how he may think of me (judge me) & then possibly kick me out (I have overheard him badmouthing me to several other people). I have a month-to-month lease.

I have often lived a very humble, frugal life & because i have, people often look at me if there is something wrong with me. I dont decorate my place (in fact my place is pretty barren furniture-wise), I dont heat it or cool as much as most people do, I dont leave it often & I dont have people over. I basically go to my job & then come home (I do my shopping either on the way to or from work so it may look as if I never leave my place). I work nights & sleep during the day. I dont have cable.... I use *gasp* rabbitears!

However I DO pay my rent on time, never complain, dont bother anyone & basically just keep a low profile (those things alone would probably make me out to be a FREAK in today's society .... how messed up is THAT!?).

Crud... I rambled.

Well, anyway back to the point. I have to hide the fact that I dont heat or cool my apartment as much as normal people do. In winter I keep it at about 45-50 degrees & wear heavy clothes. In summer I us the AC sparingly. I "borrow" a wifi internet signal from a neighbor down the street with a homemade antenna I have inside my apartment (I have to hide this any time the landlord comes over). Because my bedroom had no door ... I made a one out of a frame-work of wood & clear plastic.... it is just set in place & not bolted to the doorframe. I made it so that I can keep my bedroom warmer than the rest of my apartment during winter. I have to hide it when my landlord visits.... as I am sure he would not approve.

By not living like everyone else would expect me to (spending lots of money on junk & crap I dont need).... I am often meant to feel like an outcast or someone who is "abnormal".... & it is really depressing at times that I have to live this way, becaue it is the only way i can save up money.... living what I call "a lesser life"

Anyways... i dont want to bring anyone down so post the things you hide from your landlord. And landlords... please post some of the things your tenants have tried to hide from you.

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH