things from your past that would baffle young people today?
5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (169)
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Discussions
Are morals a thing of the past?
Comments (41)What's "FWB" - "Free Wheeling Broads" "/Boys"? I also find it distressing to hear a stream of what we considered foul language coming out of the mouths of many young people ... as part of their routine ... and I must confess that it troubles me more when it comes out of the females' mouths. I learned at home (from Dad - Mom was sick from when I was about 6, and Grandma was old and "sexless" ... and Dad talked around the subject, mainly) and I accepted ... that, as someone here said, "It takes two to tango", that pregnancies don't happen all by themselves (at least, they didn't in those days) ... and even now, teens don't get pregnant all alone (not being interested in the "in vitro" game). I learned that, while guys were inclined to try to get all that they could ... that if one was responsible for pregnancy, that he bore equal responsibility with the girl. Probably/usually more. That there was the risk of some rather nasty diseases, as well. We used to say that a pregnancy, if the girl chose to keep the child, which was unusual in earlier generations, it would pretty well ruin whatever hopes she might have had for a career ... but such wasn't so for the guys ... who seldom felt a responsibility to provide for the child. I remember Dad saying that, in discussion with a female friend when he was young, she'd said that the girls had to not only deny the persistent guy ... they had to deny their own feelings,as well. Not very fair, that. Shouldn't responsibility be shared? Possibly, after the child was born, when it was a week old, she should have taken it to the guy's house, saying that it was his turn to look after it for a week. I remember my wife telling how disappointed? disgusted? her Mom, who'd initiated divorce and was nearing retirement was that a substantial number of the men that she'd dated aimed at going to bed, if not on a first date, often shortly afterward. Maybe it's related to the length of time that movies show a scene on the screen ... if more than a few seconds for each, many modern folks feel that it's too slow ... and boring. When they get old ... and life slows down some ... do you think that modern people'll find life so unutterably boring ... ... that suicide may seem an interesting alternative? Good wishes for keeping your life in focus ... and perspective ... treating yourself and others with respect .. and encouraging the kids to follow similar patterns ... when you have the opportunity. ole joyful P.S. Many seem to feel that people, like machines, exist to serve them, if they can make it happen, and that while they are doing such explotation and after, they owe little more duty of fair treatment to the person than to the machine. Which we've pretty well seen exemplified in the way in which corporations treat their staff ... and suppliers ... and, often, clients - though if they treat them too badly, they may lose their opportunity to serve that client in future. o j...See MoreWhat would you do if people in your neighborhood
Comments (28)You know, I'm probably the only one who (aside from safety issues) really doesn't think it's that big of a deal. I really can't understand why a nice talk wouldn't be the first option. Why would you first resort to signs or big landscaping projects? Why are people so afraid to talk to or confront people? You're really gonna offend them with a sign... Just try talking to them... Why resort to passive agressive measures as the first resort? And, yes, of course people can sue you, but they can sue you with a sign too (don't fool yourself), and some may be more likely getting hurt trying to jump your newly planted rose bush... Plus, don't most people have homeowner's insurance? I've heard this..."but someone could get hurt on your property and sue you" thing for years, and I have known of people getting hurt on people's property, but I have never ever heard of anyone actually suing anyone when they got hurt on their property without any real negligence. If people are that afraid about being sued, I'm surprise they don't have big gates around their entire yard and property to keep people totally out. It's sad that neighbors just really aren't really neighborly anymore.. Maybe it's because people don't allow cut throughs and nieghbors put up signs to keep other neighbor out. Gosh, in my neighborhood, we don't have side walks, and everyone walks on people's yards (especially when they have kids and dogs with them). The kids all hit balls into each other yards and everybody can go get them with no problem, etc... No body seems to care and we actually all seem to like each other and get along fine, go figure... Plus, no one has ever sued anyone either. It's sad to think you can't let your neighbor take a short cut and walk through your drive way just because it annoys you and you 'could get sued'....See MoreContacting someone from your past...sort of
Comments (38)The only male relatives I have are my husband (almost 70), my brother....who is in his 80's and my nephew, who is in his 50's and married. (Oh, and I have a son-in-law, who is around 40 years old). I don't expect any of them to have a sexual attraction towards Carol Christmas. I mean, we may be kind of "out there"...I am a possum rehabber and that is kind of strange, but making anyone feel sexually uncomfortable would be the fartherest thing from any of our minds....of that, I am sure. I think my nephew would like to have some family. His mother and siblings are all dead. She is likely, his full sister. I would caution him (and will caution him) if this proceeds, to go very slowly and let her take the lead on this. She may never want anything to do with any of us, and that is understandable. She might well resent any intrusion in her life....and I understand that completely. My life is very quiet. I would not be open to a bunch of drama, myself. I will see if I can find an adoption group to join. If for no other reason than to get feedback on what they think about this. If I go to any meetings, I will take my nephew. I'd invite my brother along, but he is getting kind of feeble. The very last thing I want to do is cause anyone any discomfort or make them feel uneasy. Just because she is a blood relative, does not mean that her life experiences haven't made her entirely different from any of us and she may have nothing in common with us, and no interest in us whatsoever. I am not at all a pushy person. I don't want my "idle curiosity" to be a source of trauma or pain or the slightest bit of problem for anyone. I would like to give her some info on family health issues....which really aren't many....we are all very healthy....and I can give her pictures of her birth mother. I can fill in any gaps she may have, but I would want her to know that she is under no obligation to include me (or us) in any part of her family. When I was growing up, my grandmother (father's mother) lived next door to us. My mother never got along with her mother in law, and from what I understand, the worst insult anyone could say in our family was "you are just like Grandma Stout"....who really was known to be a rather mean old lady. I remember when I was about 9 years old, going over there to play with a couple of cousins and when it was time to eat lunch, she made me go home. When I came back, after lunch, I had left my stick horse there, and my grandmother had thrown it on her burn pile and was setting it on fire. I tried to pull it out of the fire and she hit me with her cane. Anyway, I really looked up to one of my cousins....mainly because I loved horses and she knew a lot about horses....although neither of us had a horse. Anyway, I was not allowed to play with her, and the last time I saw her was in 1957, at my grandmother's funeral. I found her on Facebook and I very reluctantly sent her a friend request and message. I was afraid she would want nothing to do with me, because our families didn't get along. However, I was pleasantly surprised...and we have become good friends and we often joke about how shocked our folks would be that we have become good friends....See MoreAre garage sales a thing of the past?
Comments (18)Posted by debodun:"I had two Eastlake caned seat chairs out last year with a $35 each price tag. A couple of young bucks stopped and offer me $5 for BOTH. I told them where to put their $5. Sometimes a person will ask if I can do better on the price, so I say "Certainly!" and make it a higher one." That seems a little extreme, and combative. I don't expect young bucks to know about antiques. But even more so, I don't expect most sellers to understand that the antiques market has taken a serious down-turn. When I have had sales, I was never insulted by the amount that someone offered, but how they make the offer. Saying "I'll give you..." is an insult, Asking "Can you do better?" is not. I don't know the persons circumstances, perhaps $5 is what their budget should allow? Or perhaps they are poor negotiators, and have watched too much of that Pawn Stars fake reality show, and have picked up poor haggling habits -thinking they have to start low to get the best price. When I had a sale it was stuff I wanted to unload -that was the objective. So, I priced it to sell. I was a picker and sold to dealers and I had a shop for a while, and did the flea market route -so I had an idea of what dealers would pay. If I had 20 pairs of Salt & Pepper shakers and marked them $2 a set, I would have an idea of what I would do for the lot, so if a dealer picked out the 8 best pairs and asked what I could do on them, I'd have a figure in mine mind, I might even tell them before they asked "If you're getting that many, you can have all 20 for $1.50 a pair, that'd be 30 bucks". My main rule with sales was that I would try to leave a little wiggle room for serious buyers. I could waste my time and take the stuff to several different antique dealers, or wait for them to come to me and save gas and time. I also price things 'each' and in multiples, so with a stack of identical plates I'd hang a sign. The price difference may even seem a little ridiculous. "Plates $2ea or 10 for $5". People thought they were getting a great deal and didn't feel a need to haggle, I already did it for them. But inevitably, someone was going to ask to pay $4 for 10. I wouldn't get mad, no. Some folks feel it doesn't hurt to ask, so they do. I would pretend that their math skills weren't too good and I'd say "I'm sorry, you can buy 2 for $4, or the best I can do is 10 for $5", if their math was really poor, and they had to ask again, I would repeat the same thing, "No, 2 for $4, 10 for $5" The crip-crap that I really didn't want to box up again at the end of the sale, I always priced like that. If you are only going to buy a couple of plates, your wasting my time, if you are going to buy a stack, I'll give you my best price up front. If people feel like they are getting a deal and had a good time they tell their friends. And if I had an item that no one was paying much attention to, but I really didn't want to pack up again, I would come down on it the first day, or the first time some weird young buck picked it up, looked at it and said "cool" "It's marked $10, but you can have that for $5." But my main rule was I came down on multiples and big purchases. If someone collected $40 worth of junk and didn't even ask to haggle, I might give them a discount at the till anyway -again, because they will tell their friends. "Oh, I had that marked $10? You're buying so much stuff, you can have it for $5." See why people wanted to be on my mailing list? For the most part, on the high end and antique items I didn't come down until later on in the first day or on the second day. But if I had a couple of hot items at a very good price, like beautiful Eastlake caned seat chairs for $35, I expected folks to want to haggle before they bought them. It makes them feel better. So, I might price them at $40 ea, and if some young bucks said "Will you take $5" I wouldn't be insulted, I would give them my come down price "tell you what, $70 for the pair" If they made a counter offer and it was the beginning of the day, I would tell them "I haven't had them out very long, and I was planning on going half price (or what ever) tomorrow, if you come back tomorrow and they haven't sold, you can have the both of them for $40." The next day I might change my mind and not even put them out, or if the young bucks come back, tell them "someone offered $50 for the pair yesterday before I closed and said they would be back with the money this morning. I told them the first person to pay me $50 today will get them, those folks haven't come back yet, so if you want to snatch them up, you can have the pair for $50 right now." But I usually kept my word, If I quoted a 'tomorrow' price, I sold it for that the next day. And if it was for an item I just wasn't sure what kind of interest there might be for it, I would say, come back tomorrow, I am going to mark everything down tomorrow, we can wheel and deal then. If it was an item that every early-bird dealer and collector picked up and asked what I could do on it, I knew it would sell eventually and I might even re-tag it higher after the first few hours, so I could come down half off the next day or later in the day. If it's marked $12, and every dealer offers $6 after I say I'll come down to $10, then I would mark it up to $20, so the next dealer to ask, I tell them "the best I can do is half price." Sometimes it sold to a collector for the $20 or $15....See More- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Stories

LIFE5 Must-Know Decorating Tips for People With Young Kids
Let’s face it: Kids can wreak havoc in the house. Take this advice to save yourself the headaches until they are grown
Full Story
LIFE21 Things Only People Living With Kids Will Understand
Strange smells, crowded beds, ruined furniture — here’s what cohabiting with little monsters really feels like
Full Story
FUN HOUZZ10 Things People Really Don’t Want in Their Homes
No love lost over fluorescent lights? No shocker there. But some of these other hated items may surprise you
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME12 Very Useful Things I've Learned From Designers
These simple ideas can make life at home more efficient and enjoyable
Full Story
MOVING8 Things to Learn From Open Houses (Whether or Not You’re Buying)
You can gather ideas, get a handle on the market, find an agent and more
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEWhat We Need and Want From Our Homes Today
Experts at the recent Designscape event share insights on creating a nurturing and functional home
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNKitchen of the Week: Classic Eichler Updated for Today’s Needs
A designer helps a couple honor their midcentury home’s design while creating a kitchen that works for their lifestyle
Full Story
COFFEE WITH AN ARCHITECTWhat My Kids Have Taught Me About Working From Home
Candy and Legos aren't the only things certain small people have brought to my architecture business
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES7 Renaissance Design Features Right at Home Today
Your home may be taking design cues from the Medicis, from a single silk pillow to a sky-high ceiling over that four-poster bed
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESSlow Design: Today's 'Wabi-Sabi' Helps Us Savor the Moment
Learn about the design movement that's aiming to satisfy our real needs, leaving materialism in the past
Full Story
dees_1