SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginchevychase

Can't decide between Bosch and KA Dishwasher

GinChevyChase
11 years ago

Help me choose!

I'm finally getting rid of the crappy contractor grade DW that came with my new house, you know, one of those plain ones that can drown out a freight train yet can't seem to clean anything. Anyway, I've got a budget of $900 (for the unit) and have narrowed down my choices to a KA KUDS35FXSS and a Bosch SHX55R55UC, both of which I've been quoted at $899 from a reliable local retailer who will do the install. I've done all the research and now I'm stuck and can't decide which direction to go. I've seen plenty of debate regarding the higher end KA's and Bosch units, but can't find too much regarding these mid-range options.

From what I can see the KA wins in cleaning ability, capacity and drying (especially plastics), which is important because we've got a 16 month-old and all the plastic "stuff" that accompanies a little guy. We also usually run the thing after dinner and don't grab dishes until the next day. Capacity isn't a huge deal because we're only 3 and don't usually go through that many dishes. The Bosch seems to win in the noise category (46 db as compared to 49), and noise is important because we have an open layout townhouse.

Does anyone have experience with these particular models? Is the jump from 49 to 46 DB a real difference? Is the drying that different? The way I see it, at this price range I get to choose between marginally better noise or marginally better cleaning and drying, and it may just end up being a coin-flip or personal preference. Maybe I'm just crazy and either will be great, maybe I've overlooked another brand/model - in any case any input from the experts would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (15)