SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annab6_gw

Buying European-made vs domestic appliances, service issues?

annab6
16 years ago

Background:

Last week the oven stopped working in my many-years-old GE Gas range. Since we have old appliances, we pay for a service contract with our Gas company. So we made an appointment on Saturday and the bad part was replaced on Thursday (yesterday) and the oven is working again now.

While the repairman was here, I asked his opinion about the new appliances and told him I was considering european brands - Bosch, Miele, possibly Bertazzoni for the remodel. His response went kind of like this: "Hey, I am an Italian and like the european appliances myself but it takes forever to get the parts if something breaks".

He proceeded to tell me about another service call just a couple of blocks from us where they had to disconnect a Miele cooktop because of a gas leak due to a bad part and now have to wait 3-4 weeks for the part to be delivered. So the customer can't use her cooktop for over a month.

I am just wondering if this is a huge factor for others or not? And if someone has owned non-US-made appliances, has it ever been an issue?

annab6

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!