SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyce_6333

Oh, what a treasure!

joyce_6333
19 years ago

This morning, I visited a 96 year old relative (distant cousin of my grandmother's) who still lives in her own home which is FILLED!! with treasures. She presented me with this quilt, which at first glance appears to be "just an old quilt". As we opened it up, I noticed embroidered names. We talked for a couple hours about this quilt and it's history. Let me tell you a little about it. Before the turn of the century (1900), this quilt was raffled off as a fundraiser at the local church my grandmother attended. The quilt has the embroidered signatures of 29 young ladies from the church, several of which are my relatives, including my grandmother (Nettie Anderson) and her sister. This was my grandmother's maiden name. In the center, is a square embroidered with "Trinity Pigeforening", which I'm told in Norwegian says "Trinity Ladies Aid Society". The quilt is in extraordinary condition, although I did notice some very light water (?) stains on it. What is the proper way to clean this quilt? Is there any value, other than family/local history? I laid the quilt across the loveseat so you can see it's size and condition.

Here is a link that might be useful: Late 1800s Quilt

Comments (3)