SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wiscojoe

Basement Insulation / Water

WiscoJoe
11 years ago

I am making plans to insulate / finish our basement located in Wisconsin. I've only been in the house for less than 2 yrs and haven't noticed any water or musty smells but would like to assume the worst...even if I don't have a water problem now I could see a 100 yr flood as soon as the drywall is up. Current set up is half finished, with drywall (no insulation and furring strips against concrete blocks) and carpet. I had the rim joist spray foamed about a year ago.

I think I've read almost all worthy's posts (thanks!) and have a general direction in mind:
1) demo everything
2) inspect for water / efflorescence behind drywall
3) seal cracks with polyurethane, apply sealer to blocks
4) attach 1.5" of xps to wall with adhesive and frame stud wall to press it against concrete block. Shim where necessary to keep tension between studs and xps.
5) tape seams and great stuff around perimeter
6) add roxul to stud bays for to bring up r value and still allow for inward drying.

Here are a couple questions that come to mind:

1) I'm thinking about avoiding stud wall and just use tongue and groove xps with furring strips to attach to wall. The cons I see are making a bunch of holes in the block. It seems counterproductive after meticulously repairing cracks and sealing the wall. Also, I loose the potential for added insulation such as roxul.

2) Leave 4 or 5 inches of the bottom of the wall open (drywall and insulation stop short) and cover with easily removeable baseboard (using magnets?) to allow for periodic inspection of concrete wall and allow a path for water to exit if it ever occurs.

3) Remove carpet, use something like the paint radonseal sells to cover floor and leave as is with area rugs. I like the idea of being able to see the floor for possible seepage and I don't think it will add that much to heat loss to justify finishing. Right now the basement is 56 degrees in winter and unusable for kids to watch TV so I think wall insulation will go a long way.

Any thoughts / comments on my questions above are appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (8)