SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevescivic

using self leveling mortar?

stevescivic
16 years ago

Hi everyone, I need some advice b/c I'm stumped as to what I should do with my basement tile job.

Right now I'm in the process of finishing off my newly developed basement and one of the things that I installed is tile heating wires over my subfloor. I've never laid tile before but I was told that I could use self leveling mortar to make the base on which the tiles will sit on but what I'm concerned about is how do I keep the self leveling mortar from spilling out to areas that aren't being tiled?

Right now my basement consists of a concrete slab, then a layer of dri-core and then over the dri core a thin layer of plywood. On top of the plywood I have installed the heating wires for the tiled area and now I want to bury the heating wires using self leveling mortar.

How on earth can I keep the mortar in the places that I want to and prevent it from seeping into the cracks between the subflooring and the walls? How do prevent the mortar from spilling over to the areas where the carpet will eventually meet the tile?

I was told to build a mortar bed frame but in my case its not the easiest thing to do and its costly. I was told to tape all the edges where the walls are and then remove/cut the excess tape off when its done setting.

Do I have to prime the plywood subfloor as the mortar bag says so?

Hoping someone can help....

Thanks

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths