SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rwk_nova

New Flavor Enhanced Hybrid Tomatoes

rwk_nova
14 years ago

Below is a thread from January 2009 regarding some new flavor "enhanced" hybrids. I was wondering if anyone tried any of them this season and if so what was your experience?

Thanks in advance for any comments:

New Flavor Enhanced Hybrid Tomatoes

Posted by hoosiercherokee IN6 (My Page) on Thu, Jan 22, 09 at 22:51

The varieties released thus far include Red Defender, Scarlet Red, SecuriTY 28, and Mountain Glory. Others may soon be on the way.

Here is a link that explains more: Flavor Enhanced New Hybrids

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow-Up Postings:

RE:

Posted by hoosiercherokee IN6 (My Page) on Thu, Jan 22, 09 at 22:58

Although that article was published today and says the varieties may soon be available, fact is Scarlet Red and Mountain Glory already are available at Stokes; and I've seen Red Defender sold somewhere, but cannot remember where just now.

In fact, I bought some Scarlet Red seeds out of Stokes last year. Decent tomato. And I grew Mt. Glory last summer from seeds sent in advance, some of which I shared with growers in Texas and Carolina who also got good, flavorful results. Mountain Glory is a TSWV version of Mountain Spring but has way more flavor.

I had no idea these tomatoes were product of an advancement in flavor enhancing technology until Keith M. sent me this article tonight. Gotta marvel at what the modern seed breeders have been able to do.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE:

Posted by rnewste 8b NorCal (My Page) on Thu, Jan 22, 09 at 22:58

hoosier,

The article says the ones you list above are only available to commercial growers - - not home gardeners. However, it says a variety called "Fabulous" has been around and may be available to us mere Mortals. Question: has anyone ever heard of Fabulous and where could one go about getting these seeds?

Raybo

RE:

Posted by hoosiercherokee IN6 (My Page) on Thu, Jan 22, 09 at 23:03

Raybo, I don't care what it says. I bought Scarlet Red and grew it last year. I'll post links to the catalog sources when I get time to find them.

Here are Links to the 2009 Catalog

Posted by hoosiercherokee IN6 (My Page) on Thu, Jan 22, 09 at 23:09

Scarlet Red is at the bottom of This Page of Stokes online catalog.

Mountain Glory is at the top of This Page of the same catalog.

It's gonna take me a while to find Red Defender because I think it's in the Twilley catalog and that's at my office and they don't have an online catalog.

In any case, all three of those varieties are available to home gardeners. I think Mountain Glory might even be in the 2009 Totally Tomatoes catalog, too.

Source for Fabulous Seeds

Posted by hoosiercherokee IN6 (My Page) on Thu, Jan 22, 09 at 23:12

Fabulous has been available from Parks Seeds for several years. It's a bit prone to BER in chronic wet conditions. A friend of mine grows it in the field and in his hoop houses for his farm stand.

RE:

Posted by troad (My Page) on Thu, Jan 22, 09 at 23:14

Bill and Ray

Harris Seeds lists a Red Defender F-1 seeds

Len

RE:

Posted by rnewste 8b NorCal (My Page) on Thu, Jan 22, 09 at 23:19

thanks Bill,

While the article praises Fabulous, I can't ever remember anyone here posting it in their "favorites" list. Maybe Carolyn has a sound-bite on it.

Raybo

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor