SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bowdoin514

Lease Breakers...why and what happenened? Stories wanted!

bowdoin514
16 years ago

I know you're out there! Here's my situation, and I would love to hear your stories. Been a tennant and a landlord, so I have been on both sides. Luckily, I will soon be a homeowner. But anyhow, here goes nothing. My husband & I rent a small, 2 bdrm., home in a very undesirable section of town. We moved here from out of state last October, and agreed to a 1-yr. lease. We were on a time-constraint, and didn't know the area real well, so we kind of jumped in blind, if you know what I mean. We are in the process of buying a similar home in another nearby area, have done our research this time, have met the neighbors, and know the area. We have complained to the landlord, he knows our situation, and has even suggested we move to another of his rentals, but his properties are all the same, run-down & not great areas, without losing our security. We will give him a 30-day notice, but cannot stand the area. It's so noisy with boom boxes going, the drugs are everywhere, trash & beer bottles broken in the driveway, window screens slashed, etc. The lease agreement isn't real clear about what happens if we break the lease. We have paid our rent for the month, and realize we'll lose our security, but for the peace of mind we'll have, it will be worth it.

Let me hear your stories, and any advice would be appreciated. We've been excellent tennants, on time, and have not made any damage to the place, if anything, have made improvements. Eager to hear from you.

Thanks,

Emma in SC

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH