SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
userno69

Apartment joint lease -- kicking out guests?

userno69
11 years ago

My situation is this:

I am at college living in an apartment with a joint lease (we all share equal liability/responsibility) with three other roommates. The lease says absolutely nothing about guests, aside from they can't remain in the apartment on a permanent basis.

Virtually every weekend, my other roommates throw a party, usually on more than one day of the weekend, and they frequently last until 3:00 or 4:00 AM, sometimes even later. The noise level is loud, and it is pretty much impossible to sleep as long as they are there, even with earplugs.

I am taking many difficult courses and I get straight As, but this requires I do A LOT of work and studying, even on most days of every weekend, which of course means I need to be able to get a good night sleep, which is not possible under this situation. I have no way to back out of the lease.

My question is this:

Under these circumstances, what rights do I have to kick out the guests invited by my other roommates for the party? Again, the lease says absolutely nothing about this type of situation. Since we are all equal tenants under the lease, how is this sort of thing handled? I would think there has to be one correct answer. The way I see it, there are two scenarios:

1. One roommate is able to kick out guests of the other roommates against their will, or

2. One roommate is able to have as many guests as they want remain in the apartment against the will of the other roommates.

Both of these scenarios appear problematic in one way or another, but of course, logic would seem to dictate one of them must be correct and that they are mutually exclusive. Which of these is correct?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner