SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kate_7_gw

Hello everyone, new to apartment living and having problems

kate_7
17 years ago

Hi everyone

My name is Kate, I'm 20 years old and live in a 4 storey, 10 year old apartment building in New Brunswick, Canada.

For the past 2 years, I lived in residence at my university. I hated it, needless to say.

My personality = VERY quiet, very subdued, hate noise, not very social, hate parties and alcohol...

Anyway, my residence years were awful. I was miserable. I had to put up with so much noise, so much drinking, partying, yelling, etc...It was bad.

So, in May 2006 I moved into this apartment building with my boyfriend of 3 years.

This building caught our attention because it has 2 specific rules in the lease that caught my eye:

"Noise must be kept at a minimum at ALL times, especially between 11 pm - 8 am."

"There shall be no parties of any kind."

This seemed like my dream apartment. I was told by the gal who lived here before me that they were VERY strict about noise. People had been kicked out for playing loud music and partying.

So, we signed up.

I live on the 3rd floor, so there is someone above me, below me and on either side.

I can always hear the people above me walking around. It is 2 guys. One day they were playing loud music, and I called the landlord. The music stopped but the next day they were immature brats and stomped all over the floor. No problems since, though.

I am learning to live with the footsteps...

Everything else was wonderful. The people around me and across from me were beautifully quiet.

Now. Just a few days ago, was Sept 1. That meant that people moved out and new leasers moved in.

The only people who have stayed are myself and the guys above us (and some other people in the other end of the building)...

So a whole whack of new people have moved in. Unfortunately, they are mostly all university students! This panicked me, because I recognized many of them from residence! Did these people not read the lease and see there is a 'no noise' policy?!

Anyway, 2 girls moved in across from me, but I don't know about either side of me...I haven't seen them, but there are cars outside in their spaces.

When I went out into the hallway earlier, the girls across from me had their door cracked open, and they were squealing and giggling and I could CLEARLY hear it. Granted, when I got back in my apartment and shut the door I could not hear it anymore, but this is not residence...you don't just leave your door open!

So, I know no noise has really "happened yet" but I'm a very anxiety-ridden person and am very stressed out there's going to be loud noise.

Do you think I should go speak to the landlord about my concerns?

I constantly have my fan on and the TV just as "white noise" because even a footstep makes me feel shaky and panicky.

I don't know what to do...I don't want to be in an apartment anymore, but I'm in this for 1 more year! Ugh!

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate this forum!

~ Kate

Comments (7)

Sponsored