SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
needsometips08

How can I tell if I have venting to the outside or recirculating?

needsometips08
15 years ago

Currently I have an OTC microwave with an exhaust fan on it. I have cabinets above the microwave. My house was built in 98.

I have no visible piping in the cabinets above the microwave, however, when I run the exhaust fan, there is absolutely no blowing of any sort coming back my direction, and I've felt from all angles.

Our neighbor also has the same set up, but the old owners in her house actually put in a hood, which also doesn't blow any air out (I've felt) - unlike my sisters hood, which IS recirculating and the air blown is obvious - it gushes a lot out.

Could it be possible that the venting just goes straight out the back of the microwave and then through the walls?

Is the only way to find out to acutally take out the microwave? Can I see something from the outside wall (we have a second story above the kitchen)?

A lot depends on this because I am planning a hood and drawer microwave, and if I don't have the venting, I am not sure it's worth the well-over $1,000 to make it happen since the hood will be behind woodwork and will have nowhere to blow except all over the wood if it has to be recirculating - and that doesn't sound good or feasible.

Comments (8)