SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kiwi0099

Job gone, can't pay rent, any suggestions?

kiwi0099
14 years ago

Hello,

I have an apartment and I am in a 1 year lease because they do not offer short term leases or month-to-month leases... to young people. I am going to be losing my job, company can't get enough business :(, and so I won't be able to pay rent anymore. I have spoken with the landlord and they refuse to help me in anyway and won't even attempt to advertise the unit as available.

Also when I leased they mentioned I could sublease, but since I did not get it in writing they were able to turn the tables on me and say 'no.' They do not want me to find another tenant of my own accord because they want control of the demographics of the apartments. I am going to lose money anyways because the mite infested carpet, destroyed linoleum and counters should have been changed out a couple years ago (according to landlord) but they apparantly 'forgot' and I know they will most likely try to pin it on me.

I am still attempting to find another tenant, regardless of what they say. I am in a bind on what to do about my lease, I do not know what will happen if I send them a notice of vacate, move out, and then move back home to another state (with no intentions of returning) I will not be able to afford any 'owed' rent due to the lack of income, and won't keep paying if they don't intend on trying to re-lease.

How will it affect my credit? How much will it effect my credit if this is the 1 bad thing out of many good records on loans, previous leases, and good utility history? Will it show up as an eviction? Will anything happen to me?

Does anyone know a better way to handle this?

Comments (9)

Sponsored