SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blue_fastback

carpet job gone bad

blue_fastback
16 years ago

I hired a gut to put carpeting in my basement. He works for a company that does capeting and he did it after hours. The job didnt turn out so well. 3 days after he left I vacuumed the carpet and the 16 foot seam he put in looked terrible. The seam had gaps in it and when he was done he took his tracter tool the mixes up the fibers and the seam looked ok so I didnt know there was a gap. I also found one corner that he didnt cut around the door way and a 4 foot seam he put in looked bunched up. I called the installer about this and he blamed the carpet for the bad seam. He said the backing wasnt good on the carpet and if he reseamed the carpet it would look worse. I deceided I did not want this guy back to ruin my carpet.After making other phone calls to other friends and installers I got a good repair guy to come out and fix it. The original guy did not cut a fresh edge on the carpet when he seamed it. We also found a spot where the carpet wasnt attached to the tape. The carpet guy said the iron didnt melt the glue. The other seam the carpet was almost overlaid on top each other. Also some of the corners looked funny so I had the new guy check it out. The carpet strips were coming up and needed to be refastened. The new guy also pointed out a small chip in my granite tile flooring. The new guy was at my house for 4 hours and did a great job. It cost me $175. I want the original guy to refund me some cash. What would you do?

Comments (9)