SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
themehmeh

Airconditioner is in working order, but not doing it's job.

themehmeh
14 years ago

I live in an upstairs Texas apartment and the insulation is awful. we are also in the worst possible place for the sunlight to radiate through the windows like a greenhouse.

The air conditioner is mediocre in many ways.

1. The air conditioner can't control the temperature in any weather over 80. once it's reaching the 80's outside it starts to struggle. you can run it full blast all day and you're still sweating.

2. In the summer if i leave the air running at a very conservative, uncomfortable temperature. (usually programmed at 80 degrees-which leaves the house at 85-90) my electric bill more than doubles. from 100 to 220. from winter to summer. In the summer i try to turn the air off when i can, mostly at night. because it's usually just constantly running with no relief to the heat anyway.

3. Not quite to do with the air conditioner: The insulation is awful. the guest bedroom which has two walls in direct sunlight is the worst. It has no hope of cooling at all. with fans running and an air conditioner the room has at times reached the 100's. Blackout curtains help a little but the temp is still too high and i really hate sitting in the dark all day.

Do i have any options? any right to a higher quality air conditioner?

lets say they find some way to fix the one i have, do i still have any legal rights to fix the energy use?

p.s. The filters have been replaced regularly, the coils have been cleaned.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals