SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sefarad

manager supports terrible living conditions! help!

sefarad
16 years ago

I've been living in my apartment for a few years now, and its been great until new management(CONAM) took over last year. Because of soaring rents and the fact that this apartment is rent controlled, I really can't afford to move without downgrading to a much worse part of town.

The problem is twofold. The first part of the problem is my new neighbor:

A couple with 9 kids, ranging from about 2 years to 15 years old(7 boys and 2 girls) are living in a 2 bedroom, 720 square foot apartment!

They leave their garbage outside

Dirty diapers, soiled toilet paper, soiled underwear have all been left infront of my door

The smell coming from their apartment(even when the door is closed) comes into my kitchen window and I can't even open my door to let "fresh air" in.

They leave cigarette butts infront of their door and mine, as well as all over the lawn.

The kids run around outside, throwing rocks at cars and birds, and digging holes in the lawn(at odd hours of the night even).

The 15 year old girl talks on her cell phone loudly at night, infront of my door and leaves her cigarette butts there.

Their car doesn't even have a license plate let alone a parking permit for the complex but remains there(leaking oil and break fluid).

The plumber is constantly in their apartment at all hours of the night and has to drain their toilet(the smell permeates everywhere).

When they bathe(every Sunday) there is no hot water.

When they have company, they sit outside drinking malt liquor and leave the cans and bottles there.

The police has been to their apartment 3 times so far(once the girl's friends were arrested for visiting her in a stolen car, then their guests had a shoot out in the parking lot, and lastly the kids had stolen something out of someone's apartment and he identified them).

I, as well as other neighbors have spoken with them about what they're doing but all they do is get offended and accuse everyone of being racist and of being against them because they are Black. Management has been informed of all of this and yet does nothing.

Recently, the kids broke my kitchen window with a hammer(why a little kid is playing with a hammer is another question altogether), I called the landlord and made a very clear and precise statement but a week later management sent me a letter stating that they were "informed" that I broke it myself while yelling at "some unspecified" children to stop making so much noise.

There has to be something I can do... Any suggestions? I thought of calling child protective services but I just don't know.

PLEASE HELP!

Comments (34)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996