SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_6061818

With computer run appliances Extended Warranties good idea??

User
16 years ago

I've been reading other threads on Appliance Extended Warranties and didn't see anything in relation to so many of the new appliances are run by computer boards. Does this change your mind on whether to buy an extended warranty?

I have two appliances that I am considering doing so. I have never, ever bought in to extended warranties before; thought they were a waste of money.

But, since I am already having issues with these two appliances: GE Profile Arctica Fridge that doesn't like to get cold and says that it is when it isn't and a Electrolux Icon Oven that has the same issue about heating; takes over half an hour to reach desired temp I'm wondering if it is a good idea to go with an EW.

Two seperate service men both have recommended EW's for both due to the computer boards. Currently the thought on the fridge's problem is a bad mother board and it will be replaced next week(we will see if this is the real problem), he thinks it got fried due to a surge, but I'm not so sure about that. He recommended getting a power surge device since we live in an area that has frequent power outages(which isn't necessarily correct, we live an hour north and west of NYC, not out in a desolate area, but whatever).

Later he told my husband about the EW, just as the first repairman did with me.

With the high cost of this fridge and the high expense of replacing the mother board does it then make sense to consider the plan? Of course, I would need to thoroughly check the plan to see what the inclusions/exclusions were before purchasing.

While the oven is no where near as expensive as the fridge, I don't really want to be replacing that on a regular basis, too.

What are your thoughts on this? I'd appreciate knowing if the electronic controls bring a new dimension to the question, To extend warranty or to not extend warranty?

Comments (17)