SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Removing yellow and old food stains from embroidered linens

I just bought a set of cutwork and embroidered linens, a set of 7 placements, napkins, and a runner. The placemats are heavily stained. The runner does not exactly match the rest: it looks like a rougher woven linen, whereas the other pieces look like cotton. The dealer sold them as a set, as they are similar in style. I bought the whole set mostly because the runner is the right size to use for a dresser scarf for my buffet. But the price for all was what I would have spent for the dresser scarf/runner alone, so if I can resurrect the other pieces, they would look nice on the DR table.

The fabric is white but the embroidery (mostly buttonhole stitch around all the cut edges) is olive green. Therefore regular bleach is out. They are old, but I'd say not antique or valuable: and since purchased there is no sentimental value.

I posted last year about spots on an ecru hand crocheted cloth made by my grandmother, I am waiting for spring to wash that with quilt soap.

I looked online for removing food stains, but the articles I read all required knowing what the stains were. They are more than just coffee or tea, they are all sorts of colors (ugh). A shame no one appreciated the amount of effort that went into embroidering these.

Thanks!

Comments (21)