SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginam_oh

OK,, who's into vintage textiles and old, old, old baby clothes?

ginam_oh
17 years ago

I could use some help dating, IDing original purposes, and or establishing preliminary values. Yet another find within our new old house! This time we opened the massive cedar chest, which we had peeked into before and which appeared, at that time, to house mostly blankets. Au contraire! Underneath the blankets lie numerous pieces. What's pictured here isn't the half of it.

#1 Tea towel, ready for embroidering, from Belgium (original sticker and tag)

{{gwi:1386070}}

#2 Linen scarf, table runner, or some unknown-use item. Handworked, I think??

{{gwi:1386071}}

#3 Human scarf, I think. It's quite short and the embroidery is machine-made. Fabric appears to be silk, and overall the piece looks newer than the others.

#4 Another table runner(?) or unknown-use object. Why is it different from end to end?

{{gwi:1386073}}

#5 Yet another runner or something. I don't know what. This piece is larger than the others but does not appear to be large enough for a full-fledged tablecloth.

{{gwi:1386074}}

#6 Just a fun pink apron.

{{gwi:1386075}}

#7 Fabric hooked rug on burlap backing. Looks like it's in great condition.

#8 Some crocheted lace--new? Old? Who knows?

#9 An adorable linen child's dress (or overdress?)

{{gwi:1386078}}

#10 Baby bonnet

{{gwi:1386079}}

#11 A different baby bonnet

{{gwi:1386080}}

#12 This piece puzzles me. It was very carefully wrapped, leading me to think it was something treasured. It's huge (several feet by several feet) and has fringe on all four sides, there's a paisley pattern in rich colors, and the back appears to be, of all things, cruel work or something. Is this an indication of a hand-woven piece of some kind? I'm not even sure what the material is. It's lightweight and soft but very heavy. Cashmere? Some fingering weight wool? Doesn't feel like silk, but I guess it could be....

#13 Another baby dress

{{gwi:1386082}}

#14 And another baby dress

{{gwi:1386083}}

Comments (20)