SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buddyboyinc

How much clearance can I get away with for countertop microwave?

buddyboyinc
11 years ago

We're just about to move into our new home, which has a cabinet on the countertop to hold a microwave oven. Not thinking, I went ahead and bought the largest microwave that would fit in it, a Panasonic NN-SD997S. After fitting the oven into the hole, and finding only a half-inch of clearance on the sides, and one inch on top, I started thinking about minimum ventilation and found in the manual that it needs a lot more clearance. Is there any possibility that the microwave will work ok with far under the recommended clearance, or should I just return the oven and get a smaller one? I'm just wondering if the mfgr recommendations are very conservative, and it will work fine with less clearance.

I dug up the 360 degree kitchen tour that the listing agent put together of the house, and could see that the previous owner did have a smaller microwave, so that there was plenty of clearance around it (though still less than what the mfgr requests). If I get the 1.6 cubic foot version of the oven, I'll have about 1-1/2" clearance on each side and 2-1/2" on top

Comments (10)