SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_630343839

How much space do I leave between counter and back door?

Runnermom
3 years ago

As you can see in the diagram I included, the architect indicated 45.5” between the edge of the countertop and the operational sliding door. However, the windows were installed in such a way that, to have my 30” peninsula coincide with the placement under the 30” window, I would only have closer to 40” from the countertop to the door. (Windows ended up closer to the edge of the house) I’m concerned that this is not enough space and also that walking around the peninsula to get in and out of the back is more annoying than I initially thought.

(Note that I had to make the door behind the barstool the operational one due to backstep concerns; otherwise I would have made that one stationary).

I am not following the architect’s plan for the side and interior barstools - I just wanted the ones along the back in front of the sliding door. How far away should the countertop end from the door? Will it look bad to not have the peninsula fall under the window, as it was supposed to, if I push the peninsula further away from the back door? Please help!

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus