SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilyny621

landlord is a real jerk

lilyny621
19 years ago

DH and I just built a new house and rented for 2 years. We kept the place spotless and really made sure it was clean (even spackled and painted where we had put pictures).

In August, our lease was up and we knew we would only be there for a few more months, until our house was complete. He refused to do month to month and so we had to sign another year lease. He agreed that as long as we found tenants when we left, we would get our security back no problem and our lease would be broken.

We found some people who wanted to move in this month. Our house is ready to be moved into & he called me and said, "they want to know which is better for you, the first or the 15", and I told him the first. We moved out the day after Christmas, leaving the others free to move in on Jan 1. According to the landlord, they signed a contract and were planning on moving in the 15.

Yesterday he told us we would have to pay half of the month's rent because their plans fell through. Since technically we are still under lease since the other tenants have not moved in, he is making us pay.

I feel this is unfair and doesn't seem right. If they signed a contract, why do we have to pay? This guy is that desperate for money that he can't live without this small amount of money he'd get for the half month? UGH this makes me so mad- DH and I have so many expenses with a new house and 3 month old baby that I really feel this guy must be heartless.

Is is overstepping the boundaries here? What are my rights?

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County