SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
serpentryan

Here is a Time Killer!

serpentryan
18 years ago

Looks like the herping season will kick off again by the end of the week, but since it has been slow lately, here is something to maybe respond to. Has anyone seen any life listers this year and what were they? Also, I would love to hear about everyone's favorite herping moment/s.

This years lifers:

Eastern Narrow-mouthed Toad

River Cooter

Western Slender Glass Lizard

Texas Rat Snake

Western Hog-nosed Snake

Favorite Moments:

While herping with a friend, just looking for anything that we could find, I found a joule under a rock. The habitat was rocky, but in that area there was a bluff surrounding three sides. At the base of the bluff was a moist, but dry spot where a vernal pool exists in the spring and fall. I took my friend to this spot to show him a prairie ring-necked snake. Ring-necked snakes dominate this area. Usually I find about 20 of them there. Anyway, I flipped a rock and I unexpectedly saw a flash of red. I immediately grabbed at it. I was very surprised to see I was holding a very bright and beautiful red milk snake in the month of August. It wasn't much, but there is nothing like flipping a milk snake.

I also enjoyed the outing a couple of weeks ago when me and Mike C. found 7 Osage copperheads. We found two adults and five neonates. After looking at a picture from 2003, I confirmed that one of the adults was a snake I had flipped on May 3, 2003. It's good to know she was female, but even better to know that she gave birth to at least five young.

I also enjoyed finding my first narrow-mouthed toad under a log.

Best of all, each new experience adds more knowledge, thus increasing the passion I have for these animals.

Ryan

Comments (7)

Sponsored