SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikeyfromgw

Bird of Prey ID?

Mikey
17 years ago

This bird below is a regular visitor to a couple of trees in my parkway. I have also seen it darting after smaller birds and it is extremely quick and agile. I frequently see crows dogging it and occasionally Mocking Birds and/or Blue Jays making a fuss when it's around. This morning while outside I heard a crashing noise of a bird flying into our picture window and upon turning around I saw a small bird of prey flying away from the window up into the Brazilian Pepper tree in the parkway. This tree has an open canopy inside and it is a favorite spot for this bird as well as an occasional hawk. It's usually camera/people shy and flies away but not today. I then took the first photo of the bird that you see below. After taking a couple of photos I changed position and apparently the bird had moved and I couldn't see it anymore. I assumed it had flown away. About 5 minutes later I saw some gray feathers floating down from the same tree. I've seen this before and it indicates a bird of prey is somewhere in the canopy feeding on another bird. I again retrieved the camera and I took the second photo where the bird had moved to a higher branch. I couldn't see what bird it was feeding on but I saw a Mocking bird nearby watching the activity and sounding a warning.

I looked in my NAS Field Guide but I still couldn't I.D. this bird. The bird is just a little larger than a dove. - Mike

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!