Houzz Logo Print
wayne_mo

Three road rescues in 15 minutes in Idaho!

20 years ago

On May 17th we were driving back from Idaho towards Yellowstone after a great day the previous day of finding Great Basin Rattlesnakes. In addition to the rattlesnakes I had also really wanted to see a Great Basin Gopher Snake but alas had only seen dead ones on the road (I had also found a dead Rubber Boa..another species I wanted to see alive).

The U.S. highway we were on seemed to be a popular crossing place for gopher snakes as we saw some more DORs.

But then on the center line we saw one that had made it midway across. My dad turned around and pulled off to the side, while I raced out and rescued my first live Great Basin Gopher Snake (a lifer!). Five minutes later another one! And then another!

Here is a couple of pics.

I rescued this one from the middle of the lane where the oncoming truck is approaching. I briefly held it with one hand to get an estimate of its size via camera comparison to my 5'10 frame (maybe 3 1/2 feet?)

{{!gwi}}

A rescued snake lives another day. Yay! :-)

{{!gwi}}

Idaho Gopher Snakes seem to run smaller than the monster Kansas Bullsnakes I got used to this spring, but they are still very healthy and gorgeous snakes and I was thrilled to be able to save three of them from a most unworthy fate. They were very gentle when handled. Very neat snakes!

Comment (1)

Sponsored