SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sticks_04

Canebreak rattle snake, eye to eye

Sticks_04
18 years ago

My friend Peter and I had just settled into our foxhole for the first ROTC military problem to begin. We were in the White Hall Forest, Athens, Georgia this morning. Our foxhole was along side a hillside creek, and had a machine gun set up on the edge of the hole. As it happened, there was a sun spot right under the machine gun, I noticed. Because the Canebreak was so camoflauged, I didn't notice him immediately in the sun spot under the machine gun. When I did notice him, we were staring each other eye to eye, and I noticed the verticle pupil in his eye, I was that close to him.

The Canebreak was not alarmed, I noticed, so I stayed calm too, and I didn't move. How he got there I'll never know, as we were in and out of that foxhole a lot while setting it up. Peter was not from the Forestry school, and suspected he didn't know anything about snakes. I told Peter, in a low voice, to look under the machine gun and tell me what he saw.

Peter looked under the machine gun, then looked at me and told me he didn't see anything. I told him to look again, and he did, and with one surge was gone out of the foxhole straight up in the air. My eye was on the snake, but the Canebreak stayed calm.

To make the long story short, we killed the Canebrake right during the first problem, which gave our position away and everyone was doing things the wrong way, and we got blamed for the failure of the first group through the problem.

The Canebreak was 34 inches long,with nine rattles on his tail. To my surprise, Peter wanted the snake, and later showed me the hide hat band he made for his field hat.

That's a true story.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County