SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northernil

Southern IL and Missouri, Part 3

northernIL
19 years ago

Sorry for the delay in posting this, I have been really busy.

The plan for our last day was to hit some glades in search of Lined Snakes. We headed further north, hoping to improve an already great trip with another unique species. Upon arriving at the spot, we headed down a slope through some woods, and eventually got to this view, prime habitat for snakes and lizards.

Jefferson County, Missouri

There were tons of flat rocks to flip, and sure enough, after flipping a few, Adam found the first Lined Snake.

Tropidoclonion lineatum

{{gwi:1369163}}
{{gwi:1369164}}

What a great way to improve on an amazing trip! But that was not all. Along with the Lined Snakes under many rocks were Prairie Ringneck Snakes.

Diadophis punctatus arnyi

{{gwi:1369165}}

A few minutes later, Adam came through again by finding this juvenile Speckled Kingsnake.

Lampropeltis getula holbrooki

{{gwi:1369166}}

What a great looking little snake!

Adam was the king at this spot. He kept finding all the snakes, it seemed like every rock he turned had something under it. The next thing Adam found was this beautiful Western Worm Snake.

Carphophis amoenus vermis

{{gwi:1369167}}

Adam was feeling a little tired of finding everything, so he decided to pick out the next rock and have Tim flip it, and sure enough, that rock yielded this awesome looking Eastern Garter Snake.

Thamnophis s. sirtalis

{{gwi:1369169}}

I heard some rustling in the grass and chased down this lizard. When I grabbed it I thought it was a Five lined Skink, but my dad identified it as a Southern Coal Skink, which was yet another lifer for me!

Eumeces anthracinus pluvialis

{{gwi:1369170}}

After a few more lined snakes, Keith finally found something different. It was this scorpion, something I had never seen before.

{{gwi:1369171}}

Tim noticed a lizard running away, and Keith chased it down and said it was an Eastern Collared Lizard, and guess what, another lifer! I saw it but couldnt get a good photo as it ran into the distance.

A little bit later Adam grabbed this Northern Fence Lizard which posed nicely for photos.

Scleroporus undulatus hyacinthinus

{{gwi:1369172}}

To say this spot is productive is an understatement. I have to thank Mike Cravens and Ryan Thies for letting me in on this spot.

Well a few lifers later, we were back in Illinois. I was extremely happy with the way it went, and IÂm sure my partners feel the same. We had seen a ton over a four day period. Here is a list of everything we saw.

Northern Slimy Salamander- TMTC

Eastern Zigzag Salamander- 10

Cave Salamander- 3

Longtail Salamander-9

Marbled Salamander-9 (lifer)

Smallmouth Salamander-5 (lifer)

Spotted Salamander- 3 (lifer)

Mole Salamander-1 (lifer)

Southern Redback Salamander- 4 (lifer)

Western Slimy Salamander-2

Dwarf American Toad- 1

BlanchardÂs Cricket Frog- TMTC

Green Frog- TMTC

Bronze Frog- several (lifer)

Bullfrog- TMTC

Southern Leopard Frog- TMTC

Green Treefrog-1

Gray Treefrog-2

Spring Peeper- several (lifer)

Southern Painted Turtle-TMTC

A large assortment of Western Painted Turtles, Map Turtles, and probably others.

Eastern Collared Lizard-1 (lifer)

Southern Coal Skink- 1 (lifer)

Broadhead Skink- Many

Fence Lizard- TMTC

Ground Skink- TMTC

Five Lined Skink- TMTC

Southern Black Racer- 12

Midwest Worm Snake-2

Western Worm Snake-2

Midland Brown Snake- TMTC

Redbelly Snake-3

Ringneck Snake Species- TMTC

"Central Rat Snake" Elaphe spiloides- 1

Black Kingsnake-5

Speckled Kingsnake-1

Yellowbelly Watersnake- 4

Broad Banded Water Snake-1 (lifer)

Eastern Hognose Snake- 1

Eastern Garter Snake-1

Lined Snake-18 (lifer)

Western Cottonmouth-2

Timber Rattlesnake-7

There are many more pictures on my website, as well as my life list, and other photos I have taken, be sure to check it out!

Comments (5)

Sponsored